Adjusting Old Koni Shocks

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Adjusting Old Koni Shocks

Post by ericfreeman »

I have a set of Koni's that came with my '79 when I got it from my pal at work. Springs/shocks are so stiff it's almost painful to ride, and I'm 240 lbs!! I've removed the springs and the shocks themselves are in great condition. But, I can't remember which way you turn the shaft when it's bottomed out to adjust the rebound damping. I've tried both clockwise and counter-clockwise until the rod hits its stop but I can't feel any change in the force required to extend the shock rod. Not even sure if I'd be able to feel any difference since I can't match the speed/force of a working shock/spring combo on the road.

By the way, currently running some new Progressives that are much more comfortable. I have several sets of springs that came with the bike so I might be able to configure the Koni's to be rideable again.

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Adjusting Old Koni Shocks

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

ericfreeman wrote:I have a set of Koni's that came with my '79 when I got it from my pal at work. Springs/shocks are so stiff it's almost painful to ride, and I'm 240 lbs!! I've removed the springs and the shocks themselves are in great condition. But, I can't remember which way you turn the shaft when it's bottomed out to adjust the rebound damping. I've tried both clockwise and counter-clockwise until the rod hits its stop but I can't feel any change in the force required to extend the shock rod. Not even sure if I'd be able to feel any difference since I can't match the speed/force of a working shock/spring combo on the road.

By the way, currently running some new Progressives that are much more comfortable. I have several sets of springs that came with the bike so I might be able to configure the Koni's to be rideable again.

Thanks for any help.

Eric
Hi Eric

I put on period Koni shocks back in 1982 or so on my 80 and if I recall correctly the adjustments really did not have much of an effect.

You are lighter than me, but back then most non oem shocks were far too oversprung for the CBX....I think the shock engineers simply calculated what was needed and doubled it due to the CBX being so heavy and having a bad reputation for handling. I traded up with Paul J on the Progressives he had back then and if anything they were worse.

Best fix is to scout around for a set of 1100f shocks if the Konis and Progressives do not work out for you. They are the best by far for the CBX and you can tell them from all others that look almost the same since the top ring adj can be done by hand without any tools

Let us know how it all turns out

Best

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

Thanks Mike for the reply. The new Progressives I'm running are working out very well. I get a good ride without any bottoming while still on the lightest spring preload setting so there's room to stiffen things up if I need to.

I'm not planning on refitting the Koni's unless some of the extra springs I have will soften them up a bit. More of an excercise for the sake of tinkering then of actually putting them back on the '79.

Eric

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I just removed Progressive's and replaced them with Koni's. The Progressive's had the softest spring available and they were stiffer then the Koni's. I'll get in the garage tomorrow morning and tell you which spring I have in the Koni's. I'm a 250 pound rider. The bike is almost 100 lbs lighter then stock also. It's all in the spring.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I just drug my lazy ass into the garage. The Progressive springs are the 1367 spring, 95/140lbs. There's a sticker on them that says so. The Koni's have two blue dabs of paint and one off white/beige? dab of paint. The Koni springs also look like they're wound further apart then the Progressive's.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

ericfreeman wrote:Thanks Mike for the reply. The new Progressives I'm running are working out very well. I get a good ride without any bottoming while still on the lightest spring preload setting so there's room to stiffen things up if I need to.

I'm not planning on refitting the Koni's unless some of the extra springs I have will soften them up a bit. More of an excercise for the sake of tinkering then of actually putting them back on the '79.

Eric
That is good to know the new Progressive shocks are greatly improved for the CBX.............I gotta get out a bit more..........stuck in 1985 or so.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”