Fork Spring Installation

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Not sure about the CBX but I put "Progressive Suspension" springs in my V-Max last year and the instructions say either way does not make any difference. :o

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

$1K for your 'service' George . . . . and you're too cheap to buy your own gas?

Don

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

gonna use a lot of gas driving my bike to NC from CA. If you live inbetween, I'll stop off on my way and let you buy me dinner also :D .
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Rick Pope wrote:Progressive wound springs are installed w/ the tighter coils to the top because that's the heavy end, thus less unsprung weight. Or, at least that's the theory. I doubt I could tell the difference on a CBX.
I like this analogy, it's the reluctance of mass to undergo inertial changes that make this ring true... :thumupp:

Easier for a light ball to bounce than a heavy one.... :wink:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

EMS wrote:Lets get real anal here:
I guess my theory wasn't that anal after all... :roll:

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

They have springs in them??

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

I would install them one up and one down and swap position every 3,471 miles so they would wear evenly.

The worst you could be is 50% wrong.

But I don't know much about suspension components.

George,
What say we make several POGO sticks out of some old forks and have a POGO stick race at the next rally?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: They have springs in them??

Post by Rick Pope »

Tom Neimeyer wrote:I would install them one up and one down and swap position every 3,471 miles so they would wear evenly.

The worst you could be is 50% wrong.

But I don't know much about suspension components.

George,
What say we make several POGO sticks out of some old forks and have a POGO stick race at the next rally?
Tom, you made me laugh out loud. Vintage Daze might be a good time for that race. Perhaps as part of the CBX infield event? Or maybe late night motel lot would be more appropriate.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Lots of good theories here - Proposals which seem to indicate that both ways are best

Play it safe and mount one with the heavy end up and one with the heavy end down ;)

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

It is good that we laugh at ourselves at times, makes it all worth while... :wink:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don #6141 wrote: Play it safe and mount one with the heavy end up and one with the heavy end down ;)

Don
I wonder if this would be the ideal front end set-up for a "NASCAR" bike :shock: :? :shock: :?: :? All left turns... the right fork leg with the heavy side up and the left leg with the heavy side down :shock: :shock: 8) 8)

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

I've always thought that a NASCAR race would be a much better 'show' if they tossed a coin after the 'Gentlemen start your engines' to determine which way they would run - Clockwise or counterclockwise

Don

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I recall an interview someone had with A J Foyt after he set a both directions closed course record with the Olds Quad 4 motor years ago. Even with his experience, he mentioned that going 'the other way' at speed was pretty hairy compared to what he'd been used to. :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It looks like BMW solved that problem in the 70s :roll: I put new fork seals in my 1978 R100S and when I took the legs apart, I saw that the springs were wound tighter on BOTH ends :lol: :lol: :lol:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

getting back to the pogo stick race-I cheat. I'm gonna use CBR1000 forks, they're 41mm and 32" long.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Tired of struggling with those heavy duty fork springs ? Trying to put that extra inch ( 2 inches with Hagons) without buggering up the threads on your prize alloy top nuts ? Look no further Pilgrims, here is the fix. Inquiring minds may ask WTF ?... :wink:

ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”