Rear Pro-Link Shock Oil/Air Question

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear Pro-Link Shock Oil/Air Question

Post by BillB »

I have a spare rear Pro-Link shock I'm planning on selling. It appears to be in perfect shape but has been sitting on its side for years.

I went to fill it with air to see if it held. When I removed the air pump and depressed the valve to bleed off some air, oil came out rather freely from the air valve. Would this be expected for a shock that sat on it's side? Is the air in the same chamber with the oil or do I have a problem?

TIA
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hydro pneumatic shocks are normally air (or nitrogen) over oil, often with a separating diaphragm. Not sure of the setup on the Prolink shock but I'm sure someone will come along soon... Don't worry yet. :wink:
ICOA # 656

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear Pro-Link Shock Oil/Air Question

Post by Mike Nixon »

BillB wrote:I have a spare rear Pro-Link shock I'm planning on selling. It appears to be in perfect shape but has been sitting on its side for years.

I went to fill it with air to see if it held. When I removed the air pump and depressed the valve to bleed off some air, oil came out rather freely from the air valve. Would this be expected for a shock that sat on it's side? Is the air in the same chamber with the oil or do I have a problem?

TIA
It is an emulsion design. Air and oil mix. What you describe is normal.

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

EXCELLENT!
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”