New guy with questions, Fork/swingarm options

bbqb4racin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New guy with questions, Fork/swingarm options

Post by bbqb4racin »

I've done some searching and it looks like there are many ways to go with this.

It appears the Hayabusa front end swap might be a simple swap. Besides swapping out the steering stem is there any more involved to install it? Does anyone have a small parts list? I'm not worried about the brake lines, headlamp or misc, just the steering components involved.

My next question is the rear swing arm. Has anyone done a Busa rear arm? I do have skills and access to a machine shop. I'm not helpless. If it's been done I'd like to know if was a good option, pain in the a$$, or just forget about it. Maybe there's an easier/better late model setup. I just want a single shock and better tire/rim options.

Also, if you wonder why I chose the Suzuki parts........I ride an 05 Busa and have plenty of access to these parts. It makes it simple and inexpensive for me to use them.

Let me thank you guys in advance. I'm a newbie on your site and hope to be a contributing member soon! Thanks. Rick

BTW, I just got my 1980 CBX and I'm ready to mod!

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: New guy with questions, Fork/swingarm options

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bbqb4racin wrote:I've done some searching and it looks like there are many ways to go with this.

It appears the Hayabusa front end swap might be a simple swap. Besides swapping out the steering stem is there any more involved to install it? Does anyone have a small parts list? I'm not worried about the brake lines, headlamp or misc, just the steering components involved.

My next question is the rear swing arm. Has anyone done a Busa rear arm? I do have skills and access to a machine shop. I'm not helpless. If it's been done I'd like to know if was a good option, pain in the a$$, or just forget about it. Maybe there's an easier/better late model setup. I just want a single shock and better tire/rim options.

Also, if you wonder why I chose the Suzuki parts........I ride an 05 Busa and have plenty of access to these parts. It makes it simple and inexpensive for me to use them.

Let me thank you guys in advance. I'm a newbie on your site and hope to be a contributing member soon! Thanks. Rick

BTW, I just got my 1980 CBX and I'm ready to mod!

There have been more front and back end swaps on the CBX than any other non Vtwin bike in my view......so it can be done ...for sure

Due Diligence
If you check the the CBX Photo area and also Technical Library at the top of our page in med blue area ....plus .....the bikes featured in the the following pdfs of the club magazine this will be good start for due diligence of what has been done.

viewtopic.php?t=3413
viewtopic.php?t=2059
viewtopic.php?t=3414 CBX video

On the back swap I would measure the swing arm opening in the frame or the length of the front of the swingarms and also check the pivot bolt diameter and length....these... will be a major clue on how easy the back will be. Nice thing about the 80 is the pivot bolt area in the frame has adjustments

Getting Started
You have a major advantage in swapping out the front and back on your CBX because you have both complete bikes (X and Busa) and can study the bikes side by side and take measurements conveniently. Once you take your measurements do a post here on your findings or q and those in the know will reply and help you

One Front/Back Swap I never thought would work
Back in the day plus some years an FZR 1000 front and back swap had never been tried sooooo Bob Buehler found a used parts guy who had the parts and I had an FZR 1000 and it turned out the rear nearly bolted on as where the front did require a bit of work (forget now what it was)....but in the end it was far easier than either of us thought. It lowered the CBX and it felt like an entirely new and far better bike on the road.

Another front and back end I thought would look good would be one from a ZRX Kawa. Jeff Bennetts already did the back and it looked great. This might be in one of the PDF Expresses.

Post your progress........make it an ongoing story for us here.....many will be interested and you can certainly count me as one of them.

Welcome to the line btw.......

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

bbqb4racin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bbqb4racin »

Thanks Mike! Lot's of good info there. I'm spending a lot of time right now in the read, study, and decide mode. Kinda deciding my best bang for the buck, best results, and where I want to go with this bike. I will certainly post results, pics, and share anything I can, (even if I screw something up!). I should be rounding up parts over the next few weeks and getting started. I'm already getting "that look" from the wife since this bike showed up. She's gonna $h!t when she see's it in pieces shortly!

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!! Hey, at least she's understanding! :lol:

BTW, Cleaned the carbs a bit today, put some plugs in and got a little ride! All is good. Time for the teardown!

:evil: ="that look"

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

George Dillaway, who has probably ridden modified and unmodified CBXes faster than most anybody on this planet, always makes one very good point: Cornering clearance.
If you use modern bike front ends on a CBX, you will most likely lower the bike quite a bit, as these forks are shorter than the Superbike forks of the 70s and 80s. This will result in a significant loss of ground clearance. And unless your goal is to build a drag racer, you may shoot yourself in the foot by improving handling qualities that you will not be able to utilize.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

EMS wrote:George Dillaway, who has probably ridden modified and unmodified CBXes faster than most anybody on this planet, always makes one very good point: Cornering clearance.
If you use modern bike front ends on a CBX, you will most likely lower the bike quite a bit, as these forks are shorter than the Superbike forks of the 70s and 80s. This will result in a significant loss of ground clearance. And unless your goal is to build a drag racer, you may shoot yourself in the foot by improving handling qualities that you will not be able to utilize.
Don't disagree on the CBX being lower with new or mod suspension but this is gooood.........and like you said ...how many people can ride like George who probably touches down every bike he has every ridden and would do the same if he was on a factory WSB.

I have ridden with a few very fast guys on Xs (not quite as fast as George, but fast enough) and few of them touch down their Xs with revised or new fronts and back ends....plus the brakes and handling is improved 100x over a stock CBX. Those that do touch down on the revised suspensions were able to fix the issue/problem.

Also....what is going to get you into the most problems if you are fast but not fast like George.......touching down every so often with a modified suspension or having the stock/near stock suspension and lack of brakes kill you.

I say go for the mods if the parts are reasonable........see how it works out for him.......and if he is touching down all the time ....fix it...vs not doing anything.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”