Front fork play

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Front fork play

Post by DevonCbx »

I was wondering if it is normal to have front fork play. For example, if I hold the front tire with my knees and wiggle the handlebars from left to right the forks seem to twist a bit each direction. If this is normal, would a fork brace firm this up? I am in the process of restoring this bike. I have not ridden it yet.
Thanks

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane,There is a BIG difference between front fork flex & play. Yes, they flex & a good fork brace is a must (in my mind.) As for play there could be wear in the fork bushings ( two inside each lower unit) which are "fairly" easy to replace.....
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

"if I hold the front tire with my knees and wiggle the handlebars from left to right the forks seem to twist a bit each direction."

Not exactly a scientific way to make an accurate test except maybe on a bicycle. Both my Xs have braces. Haven't ridden the Prolink w/o one but frankly I can't tell any difference on the 79...but I won't be taking it off.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Don't forget wheel bearings too Duane......
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You get a better, quick feel for play in the steering neck if you lift the front end off the ground and try to rock the wheel back and forth.

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Fork play

Post by DevonCbx »

As I checked my front forks, I did not have the front fender on. This I believe would brace the forks. I also intend to purchase a fork brace. Thanks everyone for the info.
Duane

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”