Lower Handlebars For U.S. Prolink Models

D.J.

Lower Handlebars For U.S. Prolink Models

Post by D.J. »

I have an 81 CBX and am looking for a kit I once saw in an old TIMS catalog to replace my handlebars with a standard tube bar. I don't know if this is called a "sport bar kit" or I am confusing two different items.
My problem is I am 6'3" and would like to lower the bars to get down out of the wind and reduce helmet buffeting. I already have a 2" extended windshield. Thanks for the help.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Handlebars

Post by EMS »

There is a couple of ways to lower the bars on a Prolink model. 8) I am not familiar with the set-up Tim's used to sell, but I have seen people mounting regular tube handlebar clamps to the top triple tree bracket (drill and bolt) and installing different tubular bars, even cafe-racer style bars. The 1983 U.S. CB1100F Triple Tree set-up will work also, as it has 39mm clamps and the upper bridge has mountings for a tubular bar. I am not sure if the offset is the same as for the Prolink Triple Tree, so I would suggest to change both lower and upper. The other way is the "Sport Kit" you are referring to. Although there never was an official "Sport Kit" for the Prolink bikes, the European models had lower bars installed than the U.S.versions. For the 79 and 80 models I know for a fact, that the US Sport Kit parts are identical with the Euro stock parts. The same should be the case for the Prolink models. Finally, for the Prolink's 39mm forks, the "Interceptor" bars can be used also. Exactly how they compare with the CBX bars as far as height, I don't know, but they fit.
Just "sold" a spare set of Euro bars to John S. (transaction pending)

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

'81 CBX Low Bars

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi DJ,

As Dave pointed out - there is a replacement top triple clamp available on the ICOA "goodies" page that will accommodate conventional tube handlebars. The 39 mm version for your late model looks to be in stock.

But unless you really want to go with a tube handlebar - and perform the mods necessary for this aftermarket conversion - I would strongly suggest going with the lower "Euro" late model CBX bars.

I already snagged a set that EMS has in "inventory" but there are others available.

As EMS pointed out - the Honda Interceptor bars may be another way to go. I do understand that the Interceptor bars may not be as low as the late model "Euro" CBX bars but have no personal experience here.

You may also want to check my earlier post here on Pro-Link Bars - some helpful info there as well.

Good luck and all the best,

John
San Jose, California

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I have the optional Honda "sport kit" or "Euro kit" on my '79 - I think it was standard on all bikes sold in Europe, but an extra cost option on bikes marketed for the US.

It consists of much shorter, lower handlebars, along with all new switches (it uses a set with shorter wiring) along with shorter throttle cables and front brake hose.

It also comes with a new, different set of the big aluminum plates which the footpegs mount on, and the pegs have been moved aft a couple inches, along with a relocated rear brake lever and master cylinder, plus different shifter linkage, to accomodate the move.

The net effect is a much different and more comfortable riding position, (assuming you're not using some type of windshield) - I've got all the OEM stuff to switch mine back, but doubt I'll ever remove the "sport kit" - If I did, I think I could sell it for "mucho dinero" ;)

A used (but very complete) "sport kit" sold just a few days ago on eBay for over $1500!

[Edit - My eBay link URL didn't work, so do a search for item #2408625441 on eBay, if you want to see the kit, and the auction]

Don

cbxtc6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxtc6 »

I have the set-up using the kit listed under the Goodies page. Rick Pope makes/used to make these. It's a very nice piece of billet, and allows you to put on any 7/8" handlebar you like. I used a cheap dirt-bike handlebar($10), and it works great.
I may have a photo around here somewhere...

D.J. from Maine

Handlebars

Post by D.J. from Maine »

Way back last March I asked about lower bars for my 81 CBX. Got some good replies, thanks. I finally got around to visiting a local cycle salvage business. They had boxes of 2 piece handlebars for different makes.

I ended up with two sets of bars from early eighties VFR 700, one set 2 inches lower than stock and the other 4 inches lower, all for a total of $80.00. If someone decides to go this route, be sure to check the bars very carefully for cracks, especially around the inner diameter. Also

be sure the limiting pins are not broken off or damaged (evidence of a hard crash?). Good Luck

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Interceptor Handlebars

Post by Mike Nixon »

I too have used Interceptor handlebars and also Sabre bars. An important note -- be sure to check the fit (tightness) between the steel tube and aluminum casting on all Honda Interceptor handlebars. The 1983 model Interceptor 750 was recalled because the tubes were loose where they were pressed in and pinned to the castings.

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jeff Dean »

cbxtc6, Do you have that pic, I saw a late model with that set-up at Marlinton 03'. Sweet. Also, what mods are required for this?

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”