Prolink Shock Absorber Length

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Prolink Shock Absorber Length

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Does anybody know the normal operational length of the original Showa Prolink shock absorber? I have it in my head that it was 295 mm but cannot find anything to confirm this recollection. I long ago tossed mine away and cannot remember where I recorded the length.

Having extended the length of my aftermarket Wilbers replacement to 330 mm, the point at which the chain is resting on the steel slider when unladen; it is therefore at the limit with the standard linkage, swingarm and 20/42 short circuit gearing. (nb: front forks have been dropped in the yokes to balance the bike and fork angle at 24 degrees is reduced from stock by 4 degrees - also stiffer springs are progressively required due to altered leverage)

It would be of interest to me (and possibly others) to know the range and extent to which the Prolink ride height can be lifted without altering the basic linkage.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”