Finally Got Ohlins Rear Shocks for the '79

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Finally Got Ohlins Rear Shocks for the '79

Post by ericfreeman »

I finally gave in and bought a set of HO 140 Ohlins rear shocks for my '79 CBX. The original owner was a noted auto drag racer in So. Cal and I think he raced the CBX in 1/8 mile events. I bought the bike from a good friend of his and when I got it the rear sprocket was a 51 tooth and the shocks were Konis with springs so stiff the rear was almost rigid. Probably good for the drag strip but not so much the street. I initially cheaped out with some Progressive shocks but soon dumped them for basic, non-adjustable Hagons, which were better but still very stiff. I weigh about 225 so definitely not underweight for standard rear springs.

Having reached the age of 68 and the bones are getting old and don't like overly stiff suspension. So, I ordered the Ohlins and OH MY, what a difference! The rear end is now much more compliant and doesn't bounce me off the seat (a stiff Corbin) like the other shocks did. I also fitted some RaceTech front springs and the bike is much more balance now and a pleasure to ride. Given the money wasted on the Progressives and Hagons, I should have bought the Ohlins from the start and I'd be about even now.

Now if I could just fix the oil consumption issue!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Finally Got Ohlins Rear Shocks for the '79

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Good for you, who’s going to buy them for you? If you got em, burn em, life is short!

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”