Steering Stem Bearing

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Steering Stem Bearing

Post by CopperCollar »

This wasn't a problem until the top steering head bearing for the 1979 CBX became NLA. I have an 82 triple tree with a 79 steering stem. The lower stem bearing is available from Mother Honda and local bearing supply houses; the top bearing for the 1979 CBX is unique to the 79 and some other Honda products but it is NLA. The bearing 33005 is a 25x47x17 mm bearing and I can find those but the caveat is the /26 that follows the bearing number. This designates the 33005 J bearing has a 26 mm ID and not the 25 mm ID.

The top bearing from the 80-82 CBX will not work on the 79 steering stem. Now; All Balls (22-1020) offers a kit for the 79-82 CBX the measurements of the cups and bearings must be tweaked to allow this through the model year range. I have tried the 81/82 Top bearing in the 79 and the steering binds. I haven't tried the All Balls'. I suspect it is the width of the bearing, 15 mm vs 17 mm ?

I find as I have begun research that I have more questions than answers.

What have the rest of you found on this ?
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Steering Stem Bearing

Post by DaveMadsen »

1979 CBX. I removed the steering head bearings and am having difficulty in installing the new All Balls 22-1020 bearings (specifically the bottom bearing). Removing the old lower bearing was a "challenge" but I was nevertheless successful. The new lower bearing is really trying my patients - and my arm is getting sore from swing the bloody hammer. The bearing still has about 1/4" to go. How difficult should this be? I even placed the triple in the freezer for 24 hours prior to installation.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I had the same problem with an All Balls kit for a CB-1 (CB400F). The fit was not correct, but I finally got it on. I found several OEM top '79 bearings in stock at Honda dealers around the country. The bottom bearing is stocked by just about any bearing supply house.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I got bit by the fit of the AllBalls once because I did not read their instructions carefully enough. The stack height of the stock bearings was greater then what is created by the new ones, and if they are installed like that then there is not enough thread on the stem to install the top nuts. AllBalls furnish washers and instructions, the trick for me was to read those BEFORE I got all jiggy and installed the bottom bearing on the stem :-). That made all the difference, the second time around. :oops:

If you work with the CBX and other DOHC and VF and ST Hondas then you want this tool.
If you work with the CBX and other DOHC and VF and ST Hondas then you want this tool.
Said that twice :-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVL80JA
Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.26.09 AM.png

This turns that lower race extraction into a 30 second nothingburger, easy peasy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”