Sports kit handle bars

wiggs
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Sports kit handle bars

Post by wiggs »

Hi to the members - I just managed to purchase the UK/Euro sports handle bars for my 82 cbx. The plan is to change out the existing higher rise US bars on the bike - I now need the sports kit cables that will be shorter for my controls, can any one help

Regards Mark
1982 cbx, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx Eurosport , 1987 yamaha fj1200, lucky guy !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sports kit handle bars

Post by wyly »

occasionally they come up on eBay...if you want to find them quickly check with Louis at CBX Used Parts ...or since they were a standard euro item Bert at Six Center Motoren...
It’s posdible cables from a cb900 or cb1100 may fit, but I wouldn’t know for sure...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wiggs

Post by wiggs »

Thanks so much - just purchased nos from Louis at cbx parts
1982 cbx, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx turbo, 1982 cx Eurosport , 1987 yamaha fj1200, lucky guy !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mark, i am assuming you got the controls to go along with the handlebars?
Also, while not absolutely necessary a shorter brake line makes for a cleaner installation.
No doubt you are aware of all this, seeing as you have the Turbos.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You absolutely need this: http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CBX100 ... rt_298625/

I'm betting Louis told you as well. Pro-Link sport throttle housings are even scarcer than early model ones. The plug ends are different and you have to adapt your existing Pro-Link plug to the new switch. Reproductions of the early switch housing just recently became available, but can't find reproductions of the Pro-Link ones.

Dave

wiggs

Post by wiggs »

Thanks Steve and a Dave, yes have the controls, shorter clutch and choke cables so on my way - will look at brake hose routing once complete, missed that one

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

My old brake line still worked when I converted to the sport kit ....but I have a ‘79 so maybe not the same as yours
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Oh, it works, but the early model sport kit short brake line won't work on the Pro-Link with sport bars. It's too short due to the wider spacing of the fork tubes. Best option is aftermarket custom length from Speigler.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The reason "Sport Kit" parts for Pro-Links are harder to come by, is because there was no Sport Kit for the Pro-Links. These parts were the stock parts on Pro-Links for European and some other countries.While "Sport Kit" parts for 79 and 80s were available in the U.S., similar parts for Prolinks were not. If you want something like a "Sport Kit" for a 1981/82 you have to find a stock OEM set for a Euro bike. All Euro parts have a light on-off switch on the right side control and a "flash-to-pass" switch on the left side control. As far as the harness plugs for the Prolink switches are concerned, they are the same as the ones for the 900/1100F. So, if you can find "Sport Kit" parts for an F, they will fit your Prolink. The red color on the right side emergency switch is slightly different.

wiggs

Post by wiggs »

Great explanation, I have stock Euro parts to adapt for my pro link so will see how it goes , thanks

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”