How I repaired my Prolink Swingarm

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How I repaired my Prolink Swingarm

Post by Stevo »

Hi guys I have posted earlier re the worn out bearings in my 1981 Prolink, when disassembled the needle bearing fell to pieces and the ball bearings were badly pitted.
So what I have done is source a needle bearing Part No TA2530Z that has the original 33mm OD x 30mm wide but with a id of 25mm, see the photo of the sleeve I had made 16mm id and 25mm OD pressed into the inside of the needle bearing inner race.
On the twin bearing side I sourced 2 bearings Part No 6202R5 35mm OD x 11mm wide x 16mm id (original bearing is 38x12x16) so had a sleeve made (see photo of sleeve pressed into swing arm) 38 OD x 35mm id x 24mm wide, as the bearings are 1mm narrower than the original I had a 2mm inner and outer spacer (to prevent excessive side load - the inner spacer is large to hold it up and make installing the shaft easier) made that will be installed between the 2 bearings see photos
Note: The sleeve sizes I have quoted don't take into account assembly fit, if you have your own lathe OK otherwise leave that to your machine shop

Note: I know some guys are going to say "you have replaced Angular thrust bearings with deep groove bearings" and therefore there will be some clearance in the ball bearings, well there is no choice as there are no angular thrust bearings or tapered rollers that I could find to adapt. The average clearance in a deep groove ball bearing of this size is 0 to 10 uM or 0 to 0.00039" I can live with that.

Hope this might help someone out it was the best I could come up with, oh yeah machine shop work cost me $270.00 AUD the bearings were reasonable cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stevo on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: How I repaired my Prolink Swingarm

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good effort, mate. I'd go with it under those restrictions. Enjoy. Thanks for the post with the photos and all.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent work! I'm sure it will hold up just fine.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the follow-up report, Stevo.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”