Problem with front shock absorbers

PedroPC
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Problem with front shock absorbers

Post by PedroPC »

Last Friday I transported the motorcycle on a trailer, locking the front of the bike to the trailer with a proper strap for the purpose, using the same procedures I have used in many other times
Already at the destination and after releasing the straps, I noticed that the shock absorbers were below and did not release. They are now fully locked and not working.
I'll probably have to disassemble the whole suspension front and see what's going on.

Has anyone had a problem like these and knows how to solve it?
My current bikes:
Honda CBX1000Z 1980 | Honda NC700S 2012 | Honda CB1100F Super Bol D'or 1985 (needing restoration, not yet started)
BMW R1200GS Rallye 2017 | BMW K1600GT 2012 | BMW R100RS 1978

When I try to explain why I ride a motorcycle, for those who have never experienced no explanation is possible! for those who ride motorcycle no explanation is needed!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Problem with front shock absorbers

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Never heard that before, Pedro.
I can't imagine the fork seals blew and you lost all the fluid. That would be such an easily spotted mess.

PedroPC

Post by PedroPC »

Hello everyone,
The problem was not a problem after all.
I had said before that the bike had been transported on a trailer and when tying the front, it was tightened with excessive force, and the shock absorbers were below and did not release so I'll probably have to disassemble the whole suspension front and see what's going on
When I began to disassemble the suspension and unscrew the first screws, which were from the optional bar connecting the two shock absorbers to increase the rigidity of the suspension, then immediately the suspension released and returned to the correct position.
Everything is ok now but in the future I will be much more careful when tying the bike on the trailer.
My current bikes:
Honda CBX1000Z 1980 | Honda NC700S 2012 | Honda CB1100F Super Bol D'or 1985 (needing restoration, not yet started)

When I try to explain why I ride a motorcycle, for those who have never experienced no explanation is possible! for those who ride motorcycle no explanation is needed!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Am i reading that a fork brace was binding?
Glad you got it sorted.

PedroPC

Post by PedroPC »

This was the problem
IMG_0814a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My current bikes:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

:-) All is well that ends well!! Good, Pedro.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

PedroPC

Post by PedroPC »

What I realized was that the bridge that reinforced the suspension was not well made and is not the perfect size to grab on the shock absorbers. That said, when I tighten the bolts, the shock absorbers became slightly stuck and do not work.
I'll have to look for a different reinforcement bridge :neutral:
My current bikes:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

A long time ago, there was a road race team in California, running a CBX, known as Tyrannosaurus X. (I have the t-shirt.) They found that the fork brace created more problems than it solved. While it helped keep the fork legs parallel, it also created "Stiction", as you've experienced. Try leaving the brace off and see what you think.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

PedroPC

Post by PedroPC »

Thanks Rick,
That's what I'm going to do.
My current bikes:

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”