Prolink Fork In Early Model Frame & Steering Damper

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:If Honda did not change the offset, and the fork lengths are the same, how did they manage to keep the same trail of 120mm?
Good stuff guys as it makes us all "think"..... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Chris wrote:
EMS wrote:Interesting. I have several different triple trees lying around and will put an early and a Prolink upper bridge on top of each other to see the difference.
I did this in my shop Mike and could find no difference other than the size of the holes for the fork tubes.
I will stick some numbers in my suspension calculation program to see what the necessary changes WOULD have been, if...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Fork tubes a little scoured, seeing this will possibly the last mod I will do ( :roll: ) may as well do it right. Ordered all new bushings/seals & new fork tubes (stantions) from David Silver. Tubes are not Honda but aftermarket so I will check the quality. Checked on rechroming the tubes & that is about as expensive as new over here... Gotta do my paint while it's warm enough for the paint to flow.... :?

Gonna grind off those fugly reflector mounts & keep the nice 80 version reflectors...
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Could someone tell me the amount of oil the 39mm Prolink forks need from dry please ?
ICOA # 656

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

alimey4u2 wrote:Could someone tell me the amount of oil the 39mm Prolink forks need from dry please ?

My manual says:

Reassembly - 345 cc (11.7 oz)
After Draining - 305cc (10.3 oz)
Last edited by cbx4evr on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Nick, I shall make a note of that in my 79/80 manual.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Larry. I just edited those numbers. I looked at them and it didn't make sense that after draining required more oil than after overhaul - but that's what it said in the spec section. Further in where it shows the actual disassembly the numbers were reversed to what I have posted now.

Nick
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Nick, I questioned that but deleted the post as you were faster than me.... :cheers:
ICOA # 656

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

hmm...

Post by Mike Nixon »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:...Another point is the CBX is no Moto GP bike that responds to micro suspension adjustments in my view. Along these lines......we had an expert suspension setup person attend one of our rallies long ago and measure the chassis setups of eight or so CBXs .....and the one most out of "specs by the book" and alignment just happened to be the best handler...

Mike
I know it was long ago, but maybe you could remember enough about what the good handlers had different about them to share it? :)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Let us not get too excited, the CBX is not comparable ( never will be) to the latest plastic pocket rocket. Improvements can be made but there are limitations. My quest is an attempt to maintain the stock/factory "look" whilst developing improvements.... 8) This quest is an ongoing thing, mistakes have been made ( and corrected) but I am on a mission... :wink:
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Tubes (stantions) look great...however one has to go back, it has an effin ding.... :evil:

Contacted David Silver, they are shipping one out today & will refund my full return shipping..... 8)
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Larry(I think you asked the question)
This is the fork oil level that works for a lot of us: At disassembly, dump in the amount Honda calls for. Then take an oil level measurement from the top of the fork tube down to the oil level, with the tube collapsed and the fork spring out. It will be about 7-8 inches down. Fill to 6 inches down and you will see marked improvement. Any higher than about 5.5 inches will cause hydraulic lock at full compression. You'll never have any problems at the 6 inch height. I never use heavier than 10 wt oil. Remember, the stock Pro-Link forks were designed for the weight of the fairing. I've had no issues with the stock springs either.

You will really like the bike with the 39mm forks.

Dave

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Dave, I will make a note of that..... :thumupp: Short amount of daylight here (no power in garage yet) so I am cleaning & inspecting the components I am going to re-use... As I said, all new bushings etc. so I am paying particular attention to the bottom tubes which "seem" to have no internal wear at all.....I would surmise that the lower stantion bushing is softer than the alloy tube & is therefore sacrificial.....
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

...and finally, I got around to check the offset of the 35mm vs the 39mm trees. There is indeed NO difference. I slipped a 35mm upper bridge over a 39mm upper bridge on the same tree and the holes line up perfectly, except for the 39mm having a slightly wider stance, which we all knew.
So, I wonder what Honda was telling all the magazines when they gave them the "all new Prolinks" to test and report the specs.
I also wonder what made me dislike the Prolink fork in my 79 so much :? Was it the larger mass and higher unsprung weight that made it feel "tippely"?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike, You are a sage when CBXs are concerned & I value your input as one of the supreme Gurus. I did wonder, were the forks you fitted in A1 mechanical condition ?
ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”