Lower Handle Bars

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Great! Looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading all about it. Working on a plan myself... 8)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don #6141 wrote:I need to once and for all find exactly which Honda my handlebars came from - They're 39mm clip-ons, so the fit an early model converted to run ProLink forks . . . . or they would fit a ProLink equally well
They're kinda midway between the stock bars and the Sport Kit bars - Much more comfortable riding position than either, assuming you have the Sport Kit rearsets to go with them

Dave got them from you Mike . . . . but you forgot where you got them ;)

I think they came from a VFR 750?????

Anyone recognize them?

Don
If these are the bars I sent to Dave (they were originally poilished) I don't remember where I got them from but I know what they are. :lol:
They are stock U.S. Prolink bars. As you can see in my picture, the stock Prolink bars are lower than the stock 79/80 bars but higher than the "Sport" bars. The VFR750 bars are lower.
That's what I was referring to when I said:
The stock U.S. Prolink bars are a compromise for 79/80 bikes when sleeved to 35mm as they represent a slightly lower position than stock 79/80 while not as low as "Sport Kit" set-ups. I have 39mm to 35mm sleeve sets in case anybody wants them.

Your testimony "illustrates" my point rather well. :!: :D :D

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Hmmmm . . . . maybe we're on to something

I've parked next to several ProLinks and never saw the comparison before . . . . and Dave owns/owned a few ProLinks in his time and he evidently didn't recognize them either - But if they truly ARE stock ProLink bars (which makes them easy to find) then this is something nearly everyone should look at, because as I said, IMO they are the best of both worlds on an early model

Can you supply this measurement from the stock bars Mike?

Thanks!

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don, I will try. I don't know if I have another set. :? My own 81 has a set of Euro bars on it. :lol: Will check tonight!

I completely agree with your assessment as far as the useable value of the Prolink bars goes. Especially considering the age bracket of the typical CBX owner and the desire for a compromise between comfort and sportyness. :wink: :lol: That's why I had started to make the sleeves quite a while ago. But nobody seemed to be interested :roll: :roll:

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Great!

My bars don't have the little bump on the backside that the picture shows either . . . . and there's no evidence that anything was ground off

To me, mine look more like these . . . . .

. . . . which the eBay seller claims are from a VFR 1000, circa 1986

But we'll see when we compare the measurements

Don
Last edited by Don #6141 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The little bump on the backside is the clamp for the wire harness. It is on all bars, and remember, yours had been polished and then repainted. You would not see a trace of it anymore.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

I don't think mine have ever been polished - All the casting seams are still on them and quite pronounced . . . . any attempt to polish them would surely have taken the edge off those seams - If I were to try to polish them, grinding/filing/sanding off those seams would be the first step . . . .

Don

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Don/All

No help from me on what you clips are.....sorry, however, I would like to compare them to my clips at the VA EC National for rise since mine was 37mm Interceptors someone gave to me that I had bored out to 39mm.

Check pix comparison below and for look and mine being lengthened 3/4" or so. Also, I filed off that little alignment button to get more pull back and position that suits me best....which is another difference shown in the pix. No claim here that either or both of these modifications will work for anyone or everyone, but you can sit on my bike at the rallies this year and see for yourself.

Don: Our VA EC Rally thinking now.........(for this week at least)....... is to get to the VA EC National mid Saturday, but most likely mid Sunday. Just me....but I dont see the reason to not be there vs at here at our house over the weekend. Luray was a good lesson as it relates to early arriving at rallies when one can do this.........
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don #6141 wrote:I don't think mine have ever been polished - Don
If they weren't polished, they didn't come from me. Dave may have to answer this.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I found a set in my stash. They are porobably the original bars removed from my 81 when I installed the Euro bars. The rise is 5 1/2 inches measured on the inside at the scalloped profile:

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Mike

That measurement on my bars is just short of 3 1/2 inches. I spoke with Dave and he's 95% sure they are early Interceptor bars - No bump on the backsides from the factory ;)

You really need the sport kit rearsets with these as you sit leaning forward quite a bit more . . . . but not quite as far as with the early sport kit bars. You ARE leaning forward far enough though that you don't really need a windscreen - At about 70 MPH, the wind lifts you enough to be 'neutral' so they're very comfortable on a long ride

Don

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Don #6141 wrote:Mike

That measurement on my bars is just short of 3 1/2 inches. I spoke with Dave and he's 95% sure they are early Interceptor bars - No bump on the backsides from the factory ;)

Snip/mb

Don

For what it is worth ....my 37mm bored to 39mm Interceptor clips do not have that much rise.........I am guessing 2 1/2 inches. Pix above show the diff between them also.

So you can add this to the list as another clip variant candidate that could be used on the CBX.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

There were LOTS of different Interceptor bars . . . . to fit forks of varying diameters. Not too many of them had 39mm forks, but a couple of the early ones did

Lots of possible combinations out there - I'm searching now for other Hondas which used 39mm forks so I can find a pair of fork caps which don't have the air fittings . . . . preferably chrome ;)

Anybody know what size forks were used on the 750 sandcast?

Don

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

FWIW, these are stock 82 bars:

Steve

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Same measurements for my 82 and 79.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”