Ohlins

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ohlins

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:That one is a monoshock.
You are looking for an '81-'83 GS1100E swingarm.
If you get lucky the '81 comes with a chrome chain guard that can be adapted.
Back to the GSResources for you.

Another option might be to join http://www.cb1100f.net.
A swingarm might turn up on their very active "for sale/wanted" section.
I'm a member of both forums which doesn't make it easier to choose, CB or GS or CB or GS :? ...I asked my suspension expert and he says to pick my swing arm before I buy a shock, he says there are so many variables involved that when you make one change it can effect a dozen other things in the handling setup, so keep it simple one change at a time...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you decide on a GS swingarm, I have one (the one shown in the picture I posted) I can take some detailed measurements. And you can make me an offer... 8)
I also have a Zephyr 750 swingarm, which is a really nice design with the rotary chain adjuster.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, are those Zephyr piggyback shocks any good?
There is a local to me that just picked up a project 1100 and the shocks are shot. Just wondering if he should have them rebuilt.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Steve:

I have no experience with the Zephyr shocks, sorry.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:If you decide on a GS swingarm, I have one (the one shown in the picture I posted) I can take some detailed measurements. And you can make me an offer... 8)
I also have a Zephyr 750 swingarm, which is a really nice design with the rotary chain adjuster.
nice offer thanks...
I assume you've already measured the Zephyr and it'll fit? the chain adjuster would be a very handy feature.

looking at your photo it's hard to tell the GS arm looks like the clevis is slightly forward of the attachment point on CB1100 arm, perhaps angle at which it's laying may be responsible...enough to matter? :think:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote: If memory serves me well, the GSX arm length is between the Prolink and 11F. Any swingarm change will require addressing the swingarm axle. The 79 CBX is the only bike in that club that had a 14mm swingarm axle. You will either need a sleeve to use the 14mm with the new arm or enlarge the hole in the frame to use the larger axle of the new arm.
making the decision between a CB1100 and a GS1100 swingarm was made for me by a CBX buddy who just happened to have a mint GS1100 arm which he gave to me for free!...where would I look for a sleeve? would I need to have it made? the '79 bolt is 14mm, the arm opening is 16mm so a sleeve wall thickness of 1mm?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

very little difference in shock location on GS when compared with the oem arm, 1/4" ?
rear axle to swing arm axle looks to be an inch longer looks like I'll need a new chain :(
unless I reattach the links I removed last summer when I first installed it :think: not sure about the reliability of adding unused links to a chain with a couple thousand km's on it...
my mechanic is a distributor for Ohlins and K-tech, he says K-tech is as good as Ohlins maybe $50 difference between the two, I prefer the bling of Ohlins compared to the all black K-techs...if I'm gonna pay a lot for shocks I prefer them to be pretty 8)

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”