Stock mufflers for my 81

acadia81
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Stock mufflers for my 81

Post by acadia81 »

I'm looking for just the stock mufflers for my '81 CBX. Do all years of CBX use the same exhaust systems? Are the mufflers separate from the head pipes on all years? Tahnks for the help

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

The muffler is a welded part of the system on all stock X exhausts. Mufflers themselves are slightly different internally from '81/'82 to '80 and '79.

Stock exhaust systems can mount on any year X but there are issues with the center stand bumper on the muffler. The '81/'82 uses a different center stand than '79/'80's so the center stand bumper is in a different location on the muffler for early and late model X's. The side stand will hit the bumper OK.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Don't forget that the Prolinks have a cross over pipe underneath, unlike the 79/80 models.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Late model pipes on my '80.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Chris wrote:The '81/'82 uses a different center stand than '79/'80's so the center stand bumper is in a different location on the muffler for early and late model X's. The side stand will hit the bumper OK.
Any idea on how much of a difference there is on the center stand bumper location?

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Phil wrote:
Chris wrote:The '81/'82 uses a different center stand than '79/'80's so the center stand bumper is in a different location on the muffler for early and late model X's. The side stand will hit the bumper OK.
Any idea on how much of a difference there is on the center stand bumper location?
Its roughly an inch away. I have another center stand that I will eventually relocate the plate that meets up with the bumper. Basically, the plate needs to be moved down the leg of the center stand a little bit.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

This sounds like an interesting option as opposed to the 79 & 80 pipes that seem to sell for quit a bit more money than the late model pipes. Do the seem to run leaner or magnify flat spots?

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Phil wrote:This sounds like an interesting option as opposed to the 79 & 80 pipes that seem to sell for quit a bit more money than the late model pipes. Do the seem to run leaner or magnify flat spots?
I got these pipes as NOS and still in the box for a very fair price. I have nice 422 pipes on my '79 and will switch them out with a set of used Kerker 6 into 2's. I'm chicken to have the un-replaceable 422's on the bike (especially with my history of garage mishaps :oops: ).

The '80 runs awesome with the late model pipes. The throttle is like a rheostat and there is no flat spots at all. Does not run lean. Good mid-range.

Late model pipes are definitely a good alternative when 422/469's can't be found or if found are too much $$$.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”