pipemasters and center stand

Skyguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

pipemasters and center stand

Post by Skyguy »

Hello all.

My Pipemasters arrive in a few days and just a few questions for those "In the know."

1- I have found pictures of the 6-6 pipe masters with the center stand. I am assuming the OEM center stand works well with Pipemasters installed?
*Currently have 6-1 DG system and only side stand. *Interested in obtaining complete center stand setup.

2-I don't plan on removing the pipemasters once installed. Is "muffler sealant" the thing to use on the collector areas?

3-Bill at Tim's recommends I coat the single wall headers inside with a very high temp paint, 5-7 coats to prevent bluing. Thoughts? (Short of ceramic coating.)

4-There is much rhetoric on changing the OEM air filters vs K & N (On bike) with these pipes. Some say no issues and others say cannot run Pipemaster with OEM air box. Thoughts?

I will make sure the pipes have absolutely no finger prints, grease etc when I install and I also have new OEM exhaust gaskets. Any other opinions/suggestions before I take the install?

Thanks in advance,

SKY.

PS: I will have a set of used DG 6-1 pipes for sale soon. any offer will be considered. (Bluing is on pipes.)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: pipemasters and center stand

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Z just posted about the coating he used on the inside of his headers.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=10147

The center stand works fine with PipeMasters.
I did have a little interference with the side stand spring but a little massage with the persuader on the tab got it sorted.
I am currently using the stock airbox, and jetting with a single K&N air filter with no flat spots.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I only did a single minor alteration my pipemasters , the the triangle on the side stand hits the pipes when retracted so I cut a short piece of carb drain line split it in the length and slid it on the part of the triangle that hit the pipe.
I haven't used any sealant or ceramic coating, I don't mind the slight gold patina on my headers it's a subjective thing. If you like your hearing ear plugs are advisable, other riders will let you know how sweet the pipemasters music is :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

JoeReid
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by JoeReid »

I have a completely stock 1982 except for Pipemasters. There is no perceptible difference in rideability with either this exhaust or the OEM system. No flat spots, change in mileage or centerstand interference. Stock intake with OEM paper air filter seems to be the hot setup regardless of the exhaust. I don't think the Pipemasters increase the power or torque but they sure sound sweet.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

JoeReid wrote: I don't think the Pipemasters increase the power or torque but they sure sound sweet.
how sweet they sound is subjective...it's like having a giant bee trapped in your helmet/ear....
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Try the "Performance" baffle set-up and it is an angry bee.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”