Original Pipes

cbxrob
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Original Pipes

Post by cbxrob »

Hi there.I have a mint 79 CBX .It came with rechromed original pipes but what I'm interested to know is...do the very original unrestored pipes have little circular dimples (that almost look like imperfections) on them,especially around the last section of the baffle?
There is an original set for sale on ebay and if I zoom in I think I can just discern these .Lastly my Delkevic pipes just purchased also have these and I have been told these pipes are exact replicas.As I've never actually seen a brand new old stock set I thought I'd ask??Seems a bit strange that Sankei would leave these in the pipe ,(if this is correct ) when if removed and chromed over, they look obviously smoother and a lot better. 8)

Thanks

Hondacbx65

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Welcome! Have any pics of what you mean by 'last section of the baffle'? I have OEM pipes on my 79 and 82 but they're (on) so if you are referring to something I can go look at I will. Baffles are inside so do you mean the end of the muffler around the rim?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxrob

Post by cbxrob »

Thanks Terry.I live in New Zealand and us kiwis use the same word for both.I think "muffler" would be the more correct term?I'll take a few photos of my Delkevics when I get the chance to dig them outta their box and post them.In the meantime there is a new old stock Sankei set on ebay for a whooping $2000US plus,.. that shows these circular dimples.Zoom into the last two photos.No biggie but just being curious.

Kind Regards

Rob

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Welcome from New Z. Rob. Fill out your profile a bit and post a pic or two of your X. How are the roads over there? Any corners? 8) Any cops? :(

I'm watching those pipes for laughs (pricewise) :lol: as I'll never pay that much no matter how nice they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

I see what you mean now after zooming in and I checked both my bikes. Both of them have these spot weld? indentations on the exterior cans where the baffles inside are probably attached (my guess). Never torn one open to see but what else could they be? Nice that they're located on the inside/bottom. I've seen indentations like these on Toyota pickup beds around the wheel wells. Totally smooth 'cans' are surely possible but remakes are just that, copies of the originals, flaws and all.

Here's my Z model with over 50,000 miles, on a recent trip over the Sierras. The tank sides were repainted and I'm too lazy to place the striping and decals back on.

Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxrob

Post by cbxrob »

Hey Terry.Coming upto spring here now and the weathers looking better for riding.Nice riding where I live.close to the ocean but you can can cut inland and do some nice hill climbs with good roads and not too many people around.Yeah cops here too,like in the USA are all cut from the same cloth.You just gotta run the gauntlet.
I was up in Atlanta some 18months ago and rode around with Bill from Tims International and really loved riding up that way.Nice big open roads there and up in the mountains nice twisties and great scenery.Funny did'nt see any cops out on the prowl though.
I'll post some photos of my bikes.Can't figure out where I go on the site to download from my computer.Maybe you can give me an idea?
I've got a 79 CBX a 72 Honda CB175 twin and a 2009 CB1300S (a bike not sold in the USA.)The CBX is the best though!!

Regards

Rob

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA site, Rob! If you go tot the top of the page, in the blue area, is a field "CBX Photos". Klick on teher and it takes you to the photo area. Watch out for image size when downloading pictures from your computer. Pictures can not be largert han 700 pixels on any side.
Once you uploaded them, you can place the picture inside a post by
- open the picture link in the photo section and copy appearing link in the browser window.
- start a post and whenever you want to add the picture,
-click on the "Img" field above the post window,
-paste the copied link and
-click on the "Img" field again.

Are you the one who painted the CB1300S like your Candy Glory Red CBX?

cbxrob

Post by cbxrob »

Thanks very much for your infomation.No it was'nt me that painted the CB1300 the same colour but a guy about 2 hours ride south from here from Auckland in a town called Ngatea..(if you get really bored get your atlas out sometime or use google earth).I contacted him through the CB1300 forum and went down for a visit some months ago.He has the glory red CBX and the CB1300 painted just like it and I must say it really suits the bike although it newer with a 30 year old colour scheme.Just goes to show that timeless elegance never gets dated!!

Regards

Rob

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxrob wrote:Thanks very much for your infomation.No it was'nt me that painted the CB1300 the same colour but a guy about 2 hours ride south from here from Auckland in a town called Ngatea
Regards

Rob
Small world, isn't it? :D :D

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome Rob, we have a guy called kerocowboy from your neck of the woods that has a CB1300 in candy glory I think ? He's been quiet recently but I'm sure he's OK...
ICOA # 656

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”