Is my rotor gonzo?

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Is my rotor gonzo?

Post by akinz »

I've been trying to track down a charging problem. I think and hope maybe I've found it..

What I had happen was when I fired the bike up from cold it would charge. Up to 13.8v. The voltmeter on the bike would show just above 12.

Test drive the bike around... and after about 20 minutes of riding the voltmeter would not show as much of a charge but thought maybe the meter was wonky. But also noticed the blinkers wouldn't flash either. Stopped and enjoyed the scenery for a bit, tried to start the bike.... dead.

Finally bump started it to get it home.

Checked the rotor resistance across the slip rings and got a measurement of 0.8ohms. This was about a half hour after I got back.

So if this is my problem, obviously the heat breaks down the epoxy I guess and the windings expand and completely short?

Can a place that rebuilds rotors, stators etc be able to rebuild this or should there be a specific vendor i deal with?

Am I even right assuming my rotors bad?
Thanks
Kyle
Last edited by akinz on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Is my rotor gonzo?

Post by daves79x »

Yes, your rotor needs rewound and it is very common. Several places do it - Bob at Performance International is good to deal with. http://cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/pr ... 94556f86e1

Dave

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Dave,
Just for reference, could you supply the names of the 'other' vendors who can/will rewind a Rotor? Would they do the same for the Stator?
Like to have lots of options 'just in case'. (w/contact info?) :D

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Update, it's long overdue, but I found a guy right here in Huntsville that rebuilt it for me. $200 and it charges perfectly now! If anybody in the Ontario region needs their rotor rewound send it to me and I'll send it off to him.
Kyle

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Right nice offer, Kyle. Thanks from all in the area.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”