Digital dash

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Digital dash

Post by bikeymikey748 »

The,modern, front end I'll be running has no provision for a cable-driven speedo. I'm looking into a digital speedo/tacho combo. The unit looks great for my application but....
I e-mailed the gentleman and asked if the unit's tacho could be programmed to function with the X's six cylinder. He replied:
the tachometer needs one input signal per crankshaft revolution. If i recall correctly, the CBX is equipped with 3 ignition coils, all firing 2 cylinders with one wasted spark. If you take the signal of the ground wire from one coil you should have just exactly one signal per rev.
As I'm a newb I thought I'd ask if this explanation made sense. Can I, in fact, use this ('universal application' tach) on the mighty 'X' ? Also, if it is possible, would it matter which coil I plugged into?

Mike C.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Digital dash

Post by Don »

I think you could probably make it work

The 'wasted spark' arrangement causes a coil to be fired once each crank revolution even though on a 4 stroke engine, a spark is only required for each cylinder once every other crank revolution

I assume the tach will come with a small trigger module which you will insert on the ground side between the coil and it's ground wire . . . . hooking your trigger wire directly to ground at the coil isn't going to do anything for you

Any of the 3 coils should work equally well - Electrically, all 3 are identical

Don

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”