High Output Starter

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

High Output Starter

Post by EMS »

I am working on an engine project with 70mm bore and high compression pistons, Fallicon rods and flowed head. I am a little concerned about the starter performance and much to my surprise, I found this:
Rick's Motorsport Electrics offers a bolt-in CBX starter in a 4-brush perm magnet design (as opposed to the stock two-brush field coil version) with 30-40% more power.
Part-number 61-115. And for $220.- it seems to be a helluva deal, even as replacement for a stock bike, considering what Louis would ask for a good starter.
Has somebody heard of, or better, tried this?

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results.php

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: High Output Starter

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
TIMS sells a 4-brush starter also - maybe the same one? I think Nils has one on his bike.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: High Output Starter

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:Mike:
TIMS sells a 4-brush starter also - maybe the same one? I think Nils has one on his bike.

Dave
I do indeed, it is good looking, and cranks hard and fast with a newish DieHard AGM battery. Bear in mind I have no frame of reference on how it works compared to a stocker. Tim's charges $225, so a pretty comparable value.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”