Alternator spring

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Alternator spring

Post by ajs350 »

My 79 will not get to 13volts until 4000rpm. I'm wondering if my alternator spring needs replacing as it measures just 25mm. I think I read somewhere that a new one is 32mm?
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Ross

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Alternator spring

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

New one in the bag measures at 24.77, so yours should be fine.
Do you have both the fibre and metal washers?
Although i have run with one metal washer and with 2 metal washers because the fibre one is no longer available.
Is it making that godawful chirping noise when in use?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The voltmeter in the CBX is not the most accurate instrument to begin with. But make sure that the connector of the alternator is in good condition, i.e.: the terminals are clean and not corroded. A bad connection increases the resistance and prevents the alternator from charging properly.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

This has been discussed at length, but I'll throw this in anyway:

Your volt meter only shows how much energy is in the battery, not the output of the alternator. So, it follows that the battery voltage will take a few moments to come back up after a start-up.

If you want to know if the alternator is charging, use an ammeter. I use a cheap inductive model from K-D Tools. Just lay it against the wire and the needle will indicate how much it's charging.

I hope I didn't oversimplify it.....
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

EMS wrote:The voltmeter in the CBX is not the most accurate instrument to begin with. But make sure that the connector of the alternator is in good condition, i.e.: the terminals are clean and not corroded. A bad connection increases the resistance and prevents the alternator from charging properly.
I cleaned the connector with copperbrite and the volt meter is now showing 13v at 3000rpm; much better.
Thanks for the tip. Now I need to do the other connectons!

Rick Pope wrote:This has been discussed at length, but I'll throw this in anyway:

Your volt meter only shows how much energy is in the battery, not the output of the alternator. So, it follows that the battery voltage will take a few moments to come back up after a start-up.

If you want to know if the alternator is charging, use an ammeter. I use a cheap inductive model from K-D Tools. Just lay it against the wire and the needle will indicate how much it's charging.

I hope I didn't oversimplify it.....
I'm still new to these CBX's so the simpler the better! Thanks
Ross

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”