Battery

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Battery

Post by DevonCbx »

Though I have got replies on which type of battery to purchase, I'm getting several opinions on what type of battery to use. I heard that the gel, sealed battery is good. Later I was told not to use this type because it is a deep cycle battery. The gel type was recommended at a Honda dealer.

Thanks
Duane

:roll:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane, I have found that the Westco AGM (absorbed gas mat) is the best battery for the CBX & I think several others will concur...
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gel-type batteries may need a specific charger and maintainer. AGM batteries do not. I am unclear why a "deep cycle" battery - whatever that is supposed to be - should not be used. :? :? Maybe the recommendation is based on the available inventory the dealer has for sale :roll: :shock:

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Not too sure about this but I think a 'deep cycle" battery is for marine use. Outboard motors etc.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

broook wrote:Not too sure about this but I think a 'deep cycle" battery is for marine use. Outboard motors etc.
Which would make these bad for motorcycles why??? :? Are the "Volts" in these batteries of a different configuration??

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I didn't know so I just had to google....
Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged down as much as 80% time after time, and have much thicker plates. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge. Unfortunately, it is often impossible to tell what you are really buying in some of the discount stores or places that specialize in automotive batteries. The popular golf cart battery is generally a "semi" deep cycle - better than any starting battery, better than most marine, but not as good as a true deep cycle solid Lead plate, such the L-16 or industrial type. However, because the golf cart (T-105, US-2200, GC-4 etc) batteries are so common, they are usually quite economical for small to medium systems.
ICOA # 656

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

EMS wrote:
broook wrote:Not too sure about this but I think a 'deep cycle" battery is for marine use. Outboard motors etc.
Which would make these bad for motorcycles why??? :? Are the "Volts" in these batteries of a different configuration??
Well I guess Larry answered that one for us. Thanks Larry.
Outboard motors are run flat out all the time that may make a difference too. I know they use different oil mix than regular two strokes.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I remember having a deep cycle battery on my electric Minn Kota trolling motor & now I know why it was a heavy SOB... :shock:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

AGM batteries are also in the "deep discharge" category. The "deep cycle" moniker was new to me and confused me a little. The main difference here is that the electrolyte is Absorbed in a Glass Mat between the plates -thus the name - making it essentially a dry cell battery. The biggest advantage of AGMs is the very low discharge rate. They can be left on a shelf (or in a bike) for 4-5 months without being recharged. The reason why "deep cycle" batteries supposedly are lesser "starter" batteries is that they have less cranking power in the same size. Which definitely is not true for the Westco AGM. I assume the original recommendation NOT to use a "deep cycle" battery was based on an outdated information status about them when most of them were just for industrial applications (fork lifts, e.g.)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

While trying to access the Westco web-site through the link in "my favorites", I find out that the site expired on 2-21-08 :shock: :shock: I hope that this is not an indication that the company folded. It has been by far the best battery I have ever had in a motorcycle. I am running one each in both my CBXes, one in my KZ1300, one each in both my BMWs and one even in my 71 FLH, although it doesn't fit well, physically. All bikes notoriously high cranking power consumers. I never, ever had a problem with them since.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Surprisingly I now find them on E-BAY....
ICOA # 656

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

Mike....I recently called them inquiring about the 12V22 battery. It was a perfect fit but unfortunately it has been discontinued.
Try www.mkbattery.com
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”