Alternator Basics

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Alternator Basics

Post by Carl »

I just pulled the alternator from my '79 to check the brushes. They need replacing. Any other parts I should examine and possibly replace? Bike has 29K on the clock...
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

If I were you I would replace the bearings. They are pretty cheap to buy and you can pick them up in any bearing shop.

Robert Hill
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Robert Hill »

I agree. A fw years ago, my friend Steve was having charging troubles with his 82. He bought brushes at my behest and brought them to my place to install. When we got it apart we found it was not the brushes, the bearings had dis-integrated. He bought new ones from a bearing shop, installed them and the new brushes, and all was good.

Me myself I istalled the CBXMAN alternator conversion kit. No more brushes or bearings or clutches to worry about.

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

Picked up the new bearings. What do I have to do to replace the inner bearing? Manual is not clear as to proper sequence...
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

If you can`t get a blind bearing puller you can grind the head of a bolt so that it "just" fits through the bearing center hole then let the shoulder of the bolt catch the bearing inside. Drill a hole in a piece of flat bar and let the threads of the bolt go through then draw the bearing out by tightening the nut. You can also try heating it in the oven then dropping it on a flat surface. I can`t do that with mine because it is chromed. I also heared that you can leave it in the hot sun and the bearing will drop out but I have never tried it that way.

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Post by Dave Ditner »

Heat gun works. Heat the case, then thump it on a piece of wood. This is for the outer bearing with the alternator viewed in the installed position. For the inner bearing, remove the hex nut holding the outer clutch plate to the shaft, tap the shaft out of the bearing then remove the bearing from the case. Replace the seal when you're in there. I believe it's still available from Honda.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”