Battery Sudden-Death-Syndrome

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Battery Sudden-Death-Syndrome

Post by Larry Zimmer »

A tip to those who have experienced battery sds and don't know why; and, to those who haven't, but, might. I have an '82. Had sds this past Sept enroute to Sonestown. (Got lucky with a new battery from a NAPA store a mile from the 'incident'.) As I began doing some maintenance a couple weeks ago requiring seat removal, I noticed that the battery was 'loose' in its compartment. The battery sits in a plastic box that slides into the compartment. The slide-in box has molded tabs inside it that should cushion the battery. However, with age, these tabs loose their flexibility. They, then, no longer hold the battery secure. Bottom line, vibration does it!! Might not seem like much. BUT, that little relatively high frequency rattling about makes for some significant pounding of the plates. The cure is to put something, anything around the battery such that it cannot move when you close the door. VERY SNUG is the word. Can't get it too tight. (Well, OK, don't collapse the thing!)

I'm not familiar with the earlier models; but, I expect they are similar. Hope this helps someone. Battery sds can be a major pain when you're 50 miles from nowhere. And it is Sudden!

Keep the rubber down. See youall soon.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

If you buy a good battery, you can avoid problems like that.

Buy AGM batteries for your motorcycles and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Asorbed Glass Mat batteries are the best thing to happen to the motorcycle since they put a motor over two wheels.

They expect them to last up to 12 years and I have had mine for two years in my CB1100F without needing a charge or a tender.

The AGM in my CBX spins the motor like it has no plugs in it because the battery has more cranking amps than any battery around.

They are sealed & come fully charged and can be used in any position. There is no liquid or gel to get bounced around to cause a problem like SDS.

Properly fitting your battery in the box is very important in any case and I have mine in place on the CBX with pieces of foam because the battery is smaller than the stock "Yuasa" wet cel battery.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”