'82 Alternator rebuild

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

'82 Alternator rebuild

Post by hondaman160mph »

I'm going to replace the original alternator brushes in my '82 with 14,879 miles on it. I last checked them at 10,000 miles and they were not
down to the indicator line but I want to do a preemptive replacement.
For years I have bought Honda parts from Western Honda in Arizona but apparently they no longer have a parts fiche showing part numbers and
prices. I want Honda OEM brushes, does anyone know where I can buy OEM Honda parts online?

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: '82 Alternator rebuild

Post by JoeInTUS »

Joe S
Tucson, AZ

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks Joe , I bought the last set available.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Anyone know where to get a alternator rear case
gasket? Tim's CBX no longer sells them, eBay lists one
but it's in Germany. Thanks

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

If Restocycle are unable to assist with the clutch plates (they are closing their doors for keeps very soon as I understand), in Nils excellent tutorial he mentions the folks at True Disk can machine /dress the surfaces dead flat and true (they didn't come that way OEM but should have - also mentioned in his tutorial). Perhaps they can help if Restocycle can not. It will need careful shimming though to get it back to the original tension else you'll be doing it again in short order. Did you ever find a spring with the relaxed height much closer to 30 mm? As said, yours at 24.75 is WAY too small.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:35 am
Are you referencing the square shaped o-ring (p/n 91302-422-000)?? Goes between the engine case and the alternator?

If so, I have round shaped o-rings that do the job. Contact me.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

CBX-tras wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 am
hondaman160mph wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:35 am
Are you referencing the square shaped o-ring (p/n 91302-422-000)?? Goes between the engine case and the alternator?

If so, I have round shaped o-rings that do the job. Contact me.
Yes that's it, (p/n 91302-422-000). I found one on eBay
in Germany ,having it shipped to Minnesota. CMSNL
has one but charges $37.00 for shipping!
Thanks CBX-tras, next time I'll get one from you

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

CBX alternator brushes.jpg
Found my alternator plate may be too worn to resurface,contact area is almost flush with the center of the plate. Also found alternator brushes are not down to the wear line. Spring measures 29.59mm. I never had a problem with the charging rate but now that I'm into it I'm getting a set of used drive plates from Tim's and having them resurfaced by TrueDisc LLC. Also new brushes,new bearings and seal and spring shim washer.
With only 14879 miles I'm wondering if the excessive drive plate wear was caused by using synthetic oil for 7000 miles when I first owned it. I now am
using Honda GN4 oil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hondaman160mph on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Great! Now we have another thing that we can blame on synthetic oil. Wonder how long it will take for this to make it to conventional wisdom.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

EMS wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:22 pm
Great! Now we have another thing that we can blame on synthetic oil. Wonder how long it will take for this to make it to conventional wisdom.
+1 to that!

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I'm not saying synthetic oil is absolutely the cause of the amount wear on my alternator drive plates but I'm curious why my plates are worn
down so much farther than others with less miles on them.
Here is a picture of oldbikerdudes drive plates with 22058 miles on them and even after resurfacing they are considerably thicker than mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:28 am
I'm not saying synthetic oil is absolutely the cause of the amount wear on my alternator drive plates but I'm curious why my plates are worn
down so much farther than others with less miles on them.
Here is a picture of oldbikerdudes drive plates with 22058 miles on them and even after resurfacing they are considerably thicker than mine.
The wear can be directly proportional to the amount of time the regulator is calling for power. Other factors: Bad/poor battery, condition/amount of pressure of the tension spring, "A" plate fit to the primary shaft (slop), type of oil (grade, weight, impurities mixed in, etc) among other things.

IMO, the drive coupler design is the absolute worst component that Honda chose to use on the CBX.
They knew that the rotating mass of the alternator would "flywheel" the motor on decel. So, they decided to make a slipping coupler. Consequently, it also slips when it's trying to make power and wears in both instances.
That engineer "genius" should have been fired.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't think oil type is your problem either. My experience with excessive plate wear is almost exclusively due to a weak spring and/or bad bearings. I also once found the little aluminum button oil feed hole completely plugged. My 45,000-mile '79 has the original clutches and both bearings and they still look great and the bike charges fine. On my 4th set of brushes though. Serviced a 103,000 mile '82 last winter. The alternator also had the original plates, spring and bearings. I replaced the bearings and seal and touched up the plates, but otherwise it works just fine. If your alternator is squawking at all, you'd better have a look-see.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Very helpful information, thanks Dave and CBX-tras. I turned the motor over using the starter and verified there is plenty of oil flow from the
aluminum button oil feed hole. Do you grease the drive plates with moly grease on reassembly?
I've seen answers here both ways, some say yes, others say no.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

For what it's worth, the Honda manual says moly grease the plates. I did. Have not done anything since for 30000 miles. Just one person's experience. (Plates were 'cleaned' first on a lapping plate with valve lapping compound.)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”