Help pls! Alternator 6 pos red plug wiring

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Help pls! Alternator 6 pos red plug wiring

Post by herdygerdy »

I've dug myself into 'a situation' when repairing the partially melted 6 wire connector that comes up from the alternator and seek guidance from my learned colleagues here on how to diagnose and hopefully proceed to a solution.

Like so many of our aging CBXs, corrosion had built up on some of the 1/4" spade on both sides of the red 6-wire alternator connector housing (and corrosion was visible on terminals on both the alternator side and regulator side) which had lead to increased resistance and significant heat, causing both housings to start to melt pretty badly. It was only going to get worse and lead to a 'fail to proceed' event and so needed some attention 'while I had the bonnet up', so to speak.

On the red 6-wire plug that comes up from the alternator, I carefully removed each wire one at a time, cut off the badly corroded 1/4" spade terminal, trimmed the unusual braided outer sheath off the wire (?) and soldered on a new terminal. Then inserted it into the same position in a new 6-wire connector housing I had - or so I believe. I carefully did only the badly corroded terminals one at a time and then proceeded to do the same on the matiing wire in the connector that goes to the regulator.

Feeling pretty smug, put I put it all back together only to find it is now not charging at all. Damn & buggeration!

Pulled it apart again today and using the audible 'continuity' function on my multimeter, found I am unable to get any continuity signal from any of the wires in the connector to any connection on the other end. I even pulled the alternator brushes and buzzed out from the two small ring terminals to any terminal on the connector and still nothing.

The braided sheath on those wires are definitely unusual and now I think about it, the inner core certainly did not look like a normal electrical copper wire. Are they made of some special material and therefore can not be soldered, nor buzzed out? If they are, should I just cut my soldered terminals off, trim them back and then just crimp the terminals on with no solder?

Any suggestions, including wiring pin outs from the alternator to the red plug (ie; what yellow wire goes where, in case I've accidentally swapped wire positions somehow) and good diagnosis procedures would be gratefully received. (and I'm excited 'cos I'm gonna learn something new)

Many thanks in advance folks and best wishes for a Happy New Year for all.
Cheers...Tony

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Help pls! Alternator 6 pos red plug wiring

Post by herdygerdy »

Stand down folks, all fixed now.
Replaced all 5 of my ineptly crimped & soldered spade terminals on the red 6 position plug that comes from the alternator with new spade connectors after trimming the wire back 5mm to expose clean wire, carefully crimped with new terminals (no solder) and good to go. Now charging 13.5v at idle and max's out at 14.3v North of 3,000 rpm. Happy Days! And mucho' thanks to Nils for his EXCELLENT tutorial on his Restocycle Facebook page of all things of an alternating persuasion.
Cheers...herdygerdy

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Help pls! Alternator 6 pos red plug wiring

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Happy Endings..........
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”