Pro-Link Ignition Switch Pin-out

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Pro-Link Ignition Switch Pin-out

Post by JoeInTUS »

BLUF; the pin-out for the igniton switch shown in the Pro-Link service manual is incorrect. Here is the correct pin-out:
Ignition Switch.png
TLDR; Restoring a customer's 79 CBX that needed a new ignition switch. His parts bike (another 79) had a Pro-Link ignition switch so I wanted to verify that it would be a plug and play installation. Comparing the ignition switch pin-out between the twin-shock and pro-link shop manuals showed that they were the same with the addition of the accessory terminal on the pro-link switch. Testing the PL switch for continuity per the above chart showed that this was not the case. I checked several other PL switch bases and got the same results.

The pin-out above was determined by comparing TS and PL wiring harnesses, and the TS and PL wiring diagrams. It was confirmed with continuity checks.

To use the PL switch with the TS harness I had to change the position of the BAT, IG, and TL1 terminals in the TS harness. Stating the obvious the ACC position does not work since there is not a sixth wire in the TS harness.

More info on ignition switch wiring. Harness wiring colors are the same for both models.

Terminal, Wire Color, Purpose
BAT, Red, Unswitched 12 volts from the fusible link
IG, Black, 12 volts to the ignition system and the fuse block in ON position
TL1, Brown/white, 12 volts from the tail light fuse in ON position
TL2, Brown, Power to tail light in ON position via TL1
PA, Brown, Power to tail light in P (note: connected to TL2)
ACC, Green/black, Power to accessory fuse block in ACC, ON and P (PL only)

HTH someone, Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Pro-Link Ignition Switch Pin-out

Post by daves79x »

Great post Joe! I've never heard of anyone diving this deep into the switch wiring, I certainly haven't. Yes, there are a few mistakes in every version of the shop manual.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Joe. I know that will help someday!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

divan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by divan »

Nice Post Joe. This clears up one of the BIG mistakes in the later model manuals. I don't own a Prolink but someone recently asked about the pin-outs, and I was surprised to see that the manual was just flat wrong. Great work. Please consider sending this to Jan for inclusion in the CBXPress.
Dick Sullivan

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”