Reliability Question

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Reliability Question

Post by Artie »

Heading to Daytona (bike transport service) in March and expect to do some traveling around Fla.visiting etc will probably do 600-800 miles
Always a little worried about breaking down somewhere so far from home and should I trust various 41 year old electrical parts
I’ve got good alternator with flat plates and good brushes and modern V reg my bike is always tip top shape and runs like new
BUT always wonder about igniters or anything else electrical that I should replace just for peace of mind hate to replace good igniters just because
Any comments

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Reliability Question

Post by SteveG »

Hello Artie!
If you really are a worry-wart, then bring extra stuff. Maybe even an extra bike! But if it works good now without any hiccups, then I say it will work good there. Ride it like you stole it!
See you in May.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Ya Steve your right,
I tend to try to cover all the bases....that said
I just hate the thought of being dead in the water 1300 miles from home and leaving my bike somewhere because I was too cheap or lazy ass to replace older electronics,
didn’t know if just replacing ignitors just so I knew that 41 year olds wouldn’t crap out 1300 miles from home was a good idea or just buying peace of mind
I’ve seen the gooey melted ones,assuming poor wiring,high resistance,heat etc.not sure how and what makes them fail
mine look good????
I know that they either work or don’t and a new set could fail 2 days weeks years weeks from new too
plus they are not inexpensive
especially for an old cheap guy like me!
Looking forward to seeing you and the gang in May in Pa. as well

Jeromab
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Jeromab »

I completely get what you're saying, Artie. Piece of mind is the best. The last thing you need is something to fail when you're that far away from home.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

After series of electrical/battery/charging failures on my GS1150e and my truck I bought a micro booster, Micro-Start XP-1.

Small enough to even fit in a coat pocket it's rescued me 5 times in the last year and saved me calling for road side assistance. Easily paying for itself three times over I never leave home without it. Unbelievable that something so small can easily start a 5.7liter truck engine.

It won't solve an igniter issue but it's comforting insurance on road trips, I don't have to worry if I pull over for a camera opportunity miles from anywhere and find my engine won't turn over due to charging issues.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”