Wiring nightmare

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wiring nightmare

Post by AshishNJ »

Got my hands on a project bike. It has all the fab work done and has Ducati single swing arm rears, R1 front etc.
When it comes to wiring, I do have the older wiring harness including rectifier, ign coils, switches, solenoid etc. Bike also has brand new Kawasaki generator.
However, due to the mono shock setup, there is not much room for battery tray to go in and all the connectors have to fit somewhere.

So I am wondering if someone has a similar setup and would care to share some pictures . 2nd question is if it would be easy to get an M UNIT and do all the wiring from scratch than to go through 38 year old wires ?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Wiring nightmare

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Just a couple things to consider that might influence the build, I see there is a number plate instead of a headlight bucket, there are a lot of other connections that reside there too, what kind of gauges are you using and there are updated ignitions that will eliminate the igniters for you.

Lots of good threads here explaining the updated ignition options, modern gauges and wiring harness upgrades!
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Good question Jeff. I have a new KOSO digital gauge https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/appli ... functions/ and a brand new ignition switch. Headlight is temporary for now. If it does not fit the profile, I may change it .

I am sure there is ton of info hear, just trying to dig through
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

AshishNJ wrote:Good question Jeff. I have a new KOSO digital gauge https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/appli ... functions/ and a brand new ignition switch. Headlight is temporary for now. If it does not fit the profile, I may change it .

I am sure there is ton of info hear, just trying to dig through
I was referring to the complete ignition system, there are upgrades available for the triggers and or igniters, if the Kawasaki alt is working properly it will eliminate the stock regulator, the Kaw alt has an internal reg.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Obviously one of the smaller, "anti-gravity" lithium batteries would give a ton more options for mounting a battery.
As Jeff mentioned a headlight shell can store a good bit of wiring and maybe you can get your mitts on an 8" Suzuki headlight. It looks good on the resto-mod bikes.

Don't know if Phil still has repro harnesses for sale. \i think David Silver might sell them now.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Thank you gents. Kawa alternator works and that was my thought on regulator as well. Thinking of building a tray under the seat and hold battery, solenoid and other small bits there. Interested in knowing abut repro harness . Will check with references you mentioend
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Can you make the rally in Marietta OH this September, I'll be there Friday night the 13th, I'm bringing some pipes for a friend who's coming, I have a couple train light, headlight and bucket assemblies one Suzuki, one Yamaha.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Hi There,
Phil (Me) no longer has any more harnesses and will not be getting any more. There are however,
a couple of sellers on eBay that have them. One is under $100 with free shipping. Well worth the
money IMHO.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”