Ignition Circuit Upgrades.

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ignition Circuit Upgrades.

Post by JustMike »

I decided to look into upgrading the ignition circuit on the bike and wondered if anyone has had any success with changing the pulsers for a different set of triggers.
The bike has never run properly since I got it and I replaced the spark units with a modern alternative, with no change.
I have fitted a coil bypass relay but not yet run the bike on the road to try it due to bad weather among other things.
I have also just bought some replacement coils to get rid of any questions on the old original coils. Just waiting for them being delivered.
When I first realised there was a problem I bought a used set of pulsers which made no difference. But I have always had the nagging doubt that just maybe my ones and also the replacement might just both be faulty.
So when I found a site offering pickups/triggers for sale it made me wonder if it can be done or if someone has already tried it and succeeded.
It would involve accurately mounting them on the back plate and wiring them into the bike. But as there doesn`t seem to be any alternatives for sale I thought it might be worth a punt.
What is everyones views on this ?

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Ignition Circuit Upgrades.

Post by daves79x »

You could just change to the Dyna ignition and eliminate all of the spark unit/pulser variables. Not a big fan of those as the setting the timing is a bit fiddly, but lots of guys use them.

Dave

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Thanks Dave, I did consider the Dyna kit.
But with the fact that I`ve already spent money on other parts like the new spark unit I felt that I`d be wasting money. Especially as I don`t know for sure yet that the ignition is at fault.
What a pity it is that we cant just buy individual parts instead of being forced to buy a complete replacement system, all or nothing so to speak.
For many of us it is so much easier to buy a bit at a time rather than splash out 100s all in one go.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It's possible for an individual pulser unit (the ones under the advancer cover) to go bad, but it's rare. There are lots of used ones out there for cheap money.

Dave

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

I do have a spare set that I bought Dave.
But this is where we begin walking over the minefield.
When you read a comment by Mike Nixon regarding the pulsers going bad "The classic symptom is misfiring above 5,000rpm, and it feels all the world like a carburation problem", it does sort of steer you in the direction of wondering if that is where the problem lies when in fact my problem is misfiring above 5,000rpm.
So this is why I posted my question about using different triggers.
What you said does make sense though. If the fault does lie with the pulsers, it doesn`t mean that all 3 are bad. It is so easy to forget (I did) that on the plate there sits 3 separate pulsers.
And because I have a spare set I`m in a perfect position to be able to do some swapping around to try them.
Once I have gone through my current check list, if there is no change I will do exactly that.

Mike

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”