Self cancelling Turn signal circuit?

mlynch001
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Self cancelling Turn signal circuit?

Post by mlynch001 »

Any interest in a self cancelling turn signal flasher? I am working on a design that will automatically turn the signals off after a set period of time. I have a prototype on the breadboard right now. Works for LED and standard lamps. Adjustable for flash rate and has adjustable shut off time approx 15 sec out to about 90 seconds. Uses stock TS Switch, involves minimum wiring changes and is easily reversible.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Self cancelling Turn signal circuit?

Post by EMS »

This is awesome, that you put so much effort into this to provide a workable solution! 8)
I have several bikes that have self-cancelling t/s and frankly, I find it annoying... :? :lol: So many times, I sit and wait trying to make a left turn and the t/s keeps turning off and I really have to watch to re-activate it. The good old trun-it-off-yourself design has things going for it!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<< EMS said: I have several bikes that have self-cancelling t/s and frankly, I find it annoying..>>>

Well Mike, when you get old, you'll forget to cancel the signals occasionally. Heck, I even forget myself once in a while. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick, I can send you a set-up to wire an acoustic alert into the t/s circuit which keeps beeping at you as long as the t/s is on. More annoying than a self-cancelling unit. :DD

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks for the input of the self-cancel design. Honestly, I do not have personal interest. HOWEVER, I/we certainly appreciate your effort AND offer to the forum.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:Rick, I can send you a set-up to wire an acoustic alert into the t/s circuit which keeps beeping at you as long as the t/s is on. More annoying than a self-cancelling unit. :DD
Mike, Honda had that on the early CB750. Mine is in a tool box somewhere. Perhaps I need to put it back on a bike... :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

mlynch001
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mlynch001 »

Rick Pope wrote:
EMS wrote:Rick, I can send you a set-up to wire an acoustic alert into the t/s circuit which keeps beeping at you as long as the t/s is on. More annoying than a self-cancelling unit. :DD
Mike, Honda had that on the early CB750. Mine is in a tool box somewhere. Perhaps I need to put it back on a bike... :o
Rick,
Yes, my 750K model had the warning horn or buzzer on the signals. My V45 Sabre has self cancelling signals and for the most part, I like them. The sitting at a stoplight cancellations are the only occasional issue. The HONDA system uses steering angle, distance traveled, speed and time to help in this situation, it is not a perfect system, but it is very good. I find that the benefit of cancelling a signal that is inadvertently left on outweighs the annoyance of going off at an occasional stoplight, but that is just me.

mlynch001
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mlynch001 »

Perhaps I should add that the circuit has a "reminder" indicator that will let you know that the signals have switched "off" and that the rider needs to reset the signal flasher unit as needed.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

my '84 Suzuki gs1150 has self cancelling signals, works great I've had some young riders ask how they work but I had no idea :lol: ...I routinely forget to switch off my Z's signals

Went for a test ride on BMW R12R and was stumped as how they worked, took me the entire ride before I figured out what I was doing wrong :doh: ...it my first ride on a modern ride I was surprised it didn't have self cancelling signals 35yrs after my suziki had them
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”