Wont Start After 2 Years Sitting

RobertG
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Wont Start After 2 Years Sitting

Post by RobertG »

It has been almost two years since I rode my CBX. Back issues and surgery laid me up. I did drain the gas from the tank and removed the battery. Now, the bike wont start. I have replaced the battery, added fuel and tried everything I can think of. It turns over, there is spark at the plugs, but it wont fire. Can anyone offer me some suggestions as to what to try next? My local Honda dealer is quite incompetent dealing with a CBX as I found when it was time for the initial servicing. In addition to not starting, the neutral light also does not come on. Any fixes for that?

I really appreciate any help on this. I bought my first CBX in the 80's and buying this one from Tim's, completely restored was a longtime dream. Now after suffering my surgeries I cant start the damn thing to go for a ride.

As an alternative if anyone can recommend a mechanic in South Texas (San Antonio) I would take the bike to them if necessary.

Thank you.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Wont Start After 2 Years Sitting

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I seem to remember something about the neutral switch and the kill switch running off the same circuit.
Have you tried pulling the clutch lever in when attempting to start.

There is a knowledgeable CBX owner near by in New Braunfels but he does not visit often.
jebbysan can be found occasionally on the cb1100f.net and cbxworld.com sites.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I can't find a thread so this is going off a VERY bad memory but i think itis #10 in this schematic.
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/ ... left-cover

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

What year? If it is the 80-82 models they have the vacume operated fuel shut off. If any luck that is preventing fuel from entering carbs. I would pull a outside drain screw and see if you have fuel. You might also check your air cleaner and see if you have mouse nest in there.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You drained the tank, but did you drain the carbs? The gas in the bowls likely turned to something else and masked over/plugged the idle jets. There is a diode in the headlight bucket (early models) that, if bad, will cause problems with the neutral light/clutch switch circuit. It might be if this is bad that you have to pull the clutch lever to start. Just a plug-in thingy.

Dave

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”