low voltage showing...whassup?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: low voltage showing...whassup?

Post by daves79x »

I'd bet it is the rotor. Did you do the simple check of measuring the resistance between the slip rings? It has to be near 4 Ohm. Anything far less or more is bad. It's the most common failure on these next to brushes. I probably could have been more descriptive before, but this subject has been absolutely beaten to death here if you do a simple search.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

I know you have the UK bike, but can't remember now if it had it's original Euro alternator on it or the larger US version.

If the issue is with the rotor, I may have a spare Euro one.

Happy to come over to your place again to see if we can sort it out if that helps.

Paul.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Where, and when, are you reading 11.8v? Use a good meter to read at the battery, before and after starting the motor. Check again at higher rpm. Wait a few minutes and see if it doesn't rise in values, both at idle and again at higher rpm.

If you have access to an ammeter, see what the alternator is really putting out. I have a handy clip on ammeter made by K-D Tools. Pretty handy tool, and cheap.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Redplexus
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Redplexus »

Thanks again all - here's the latest.... everything all back together nicely, new parts everywhere etc. testing at the connection block behind the right hand side panel. Voltage does not vary regardless of engine speed, and is reliably 12 volts between either the black or white pins and earth. Resistance between any combination of the yellow pins is 50-90 Ohms at a range of engine speeds - could this indicate where the problem lies - I read somewhere this should be more like 5 Ohms - would this be a sign of breaking down coils etc? Or am i just hoping for a solution rather than diagnosing the issue. Happy just to get the alternator rebuilt but might be a waste of money if it's just old cabling at fault...

Thanks for the offer Paul - think this one's a Euro unit, might be worth a spin with a know good one if you have such an item.
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Did you actually check the resistance between the slip rings on the rotor? I’m telling you, that’s the first thing you should check after the brushes. It will never charge with a bad rotor and you can do further damage by running it.

Daves79x

Redplexus

Post by Redplexus »

Thanks for that Dave, will check that this very afternoon. I saw somewhere else that replacing the battery for a larger one from the 1500 Wing can also help as the exciter field can take quite a bit of , err, exciting.

Cheers again, I shall prevail.
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The Gold Wing size battery is a good choice, but has nothing to do with your charging situation. Find the charging problem and you'll be good. I'm betting on the rotor, as I think I've said three or four times here already. You do know that you have to take the alternator apart to check the rotor? If that manages to test good, then it's your regulator.

Dave

Redplexus

Post by Redplexus »

Thanks again Dave, I've taken the alternator off and apart again, tested the resistance between the slip rings and guess what....reading is only 1.1 Ohm. Having already replaced the regulator/rectifier unit, battery, brushes and cleaned up all connections, this is probably the culprit. Before taking the alternator off this time I checked the voltage at the battery with the motor running and it confirmed that effectively it just shows battery voltage and no more than that at any engine speed. (read on external voltmeter). Ie there is no charging voltage at all from the system currently. Guess I'm now looking for a new rotor as the last part of the jigsaw. Cheers.
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

Which alternator do you have.

Euro Version:
20180415_121032.jpg
Or US version:
20180329_114825.jpg
Let me know which one and I'll see if I have a rotor.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not probably, it IS the problem. As I’ve told countless guys here countless times, it’s the most common failure after brushes. But everyone insists on doing it their way.

Dave

Redplexus

Post by Redplexus »

Really appreciate all the guidance, now hopeful to find a replacement or someone who can return this unit....

I should have listened to you earlier Dave, but that's my learning style. I at least now know how to strip, replace and diagnose most charging issues and the bike has an essentially new set of electrics. Smiles all round then. Hope we can speak soon Paul. Cheers for now
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

A little late but still relevant:

https://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh ... html#a1634

CBX1000 Rotor Rewind (Large)

Price: �145.00

CBX1000 Rotor Rewind (Small)

Price: �120.00

To Fit:- Honda CBX1000. (Twin Shock) 6 cylinder model. Rotor size: 83/46.5mm. Smaller type. Please note, this is a repair/rewind on your rotor, however, we do carry this item in stock, and is sometimes available for exchange. For details click on the image or "MORE" button.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”