headlite bucket wiring schematic

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

headlite bucket wiring schematic

Post by nicholr »

Hi all,

Does anyone have a quick and dirty wiring schematic for the headlite wiring on a 80 cbx. Brown is not ground? Who knew. I have a manual but the wiring diagram in it is not completely helpful. I do realize that there is one brown and one white/green that are left unplugged. The rest seem to have no natural order and with 8-10 wires I am tiring of trial by error. I have the error part mastered. All help gratefully accepted.

nicholr

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: headlite bucket wiring schematic

Post by daves79x »

If you have the Honda shop manual, then you have the best schematic there is. Other than confusion about wire routing, my recollection is that everything matches up perfectly. What exactly doesn't seem to match in your bucket?

Dave

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

HI Dave,
I'm used to European automotive wiring so a brown wire with power was a shocker (pun intended).My '80 is a VERY lo miler that sat unridden for years. The owner got tired of buying new batterys so finally sold it to me. Absolutely lovely bike but one side that faced the sun in his shed was completely faded out. The rubber and seals were all cracked and/or leaking. So lots of expensive exchanges with Tim, Louis, David Silver and several others out there. When I disassembled her I thought the wiring looked pretty straight forward. I installed the Tony Herd (herdiegurdy) ignition kit and all that wiring jived with what he sent me. In the photo I took of the bucket prior to removal I neglected to capture all of connected wires. When I reassembled her I fearlessly started reconnecting 'like' coloured wires. Very weird wiring for this part of the machine. Seems some wires loop thru the entire bike and return to make additional connections. Not simply ground wire, power wire, signal lite wires, splice. What I need to know is what wires go with whom. I have tried multiple iterations and get close but no ceegar. I DO have a factory manual and am concerned that the wiring diagram for the USA bikes differs from the Canada spec bikes. Mine has the lo speed speedo and the plastic crankcase puke tank. Things I a told differentiate it from a USA bike. Perhaps I just have the wrong schematic.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am not sure what happened inside the headlight bucket of your bike, but the wiring connections, if not changed and messed up are pretty simple. You have 3 connector plugs which take care of basically all the wiring except for 5 wires. the white/green and brown wire are not connected. They remain unplugged. The green wire has a double tube connection which mates up with two black wires, one each to a black wire from each side turn signal. The light blue wire connects to a light blue wire tube connector from the right side turn signal and the orange wire connects to the orange wire tube connector f the left side turn signal. That's all.
Different story if anybody has messed with the wires out of the three white connector plugs. there should be no difference between the U.S. and Canadian models wiring in the headlight bucket.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There should be two green wires plug into the double green plug, if the signals are stock, and the running lights will have a blue with tracer and orange with tracer. They plug into like connectors. The '80 CBXs were basically all the same, save possibly for the running lights and maybe a headlight 'off' switch.

Dave

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Eureka!

Thanks gents. Idle time starts my mind to prioritizing the 'important stuff', so naturally, bikes. This has been bugging me for weeks now. I very much appreciate your seasoned and sage advice. Very straight forward.

I return to the great white north in a month and will put it to use. I am escaping our politics and the snow in southern Mexico.
warm regards

Ron

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:There should be two green wires plug into the double green plug, if the signals are stock, and the running lights will have a blue with tracer and orange with tracer. They plug into like connectors. The '80 CBXs were basically all the same, save possibly for the running lights and maybe a headlight 'off' switch.

Dave
Not that I want to argue again, but the wiring diagram shows two black wires plugging into the green connection and there is no tracer on either the blue or orange coming from the wiring harness.
But I guess, we leave it to the authorities to tell how it is.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike - you must be looking at an non-US version diagram. All of mine (including the US '80 addendum), show two green ground wires coming from the signals plugging into the double green plug, and plain orange and plain blue plugging into like connectors for the regular turn signals. Then there are a blue/white and an orange/white wires for the front running lights in the turn signals, also plugging into like connectors. I have restored 4 '80s and a bunch of '79s, all US spec bikes, and they have all been wired as I describe. That's what I'm looking at right now and what my experience has been.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

OK - so what's the problem, unless the turn signal wires are missing their colored 'tubes' as Honda calls them? I call them 'like colors'. And there are indeed tracer wires for the front running lights on your diagram, running throughout to the switch.
Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

EMS wrote:[ the wiring diagram shows two black wires plugging into the green connection and there is no tracer on either the blue or orange coming from the wiring harness.
All of mine (including the US '80 addendum), show two green ground wires coming from the signals plugging into the double green plug, and plain orange and plain blue plugging into like connectors for the regular turn signals.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:OK - so what's the problem, Dave
O.K. let's get it out. Here is what MY problem is:

the member asked a straight, simple, question
Does anyone have a quick and dirty wiring schematic for the headlite wiring on a 80 cbx. Brown is not ground? Who knew. I have a manual but the wiring diagram in it is not completely helpful. I do realize that there is one brown and one white/green that are left unplugged. The rest seem to have no natural order and with 8-10 wires I am tiring of trial by error. I have the error part mastered. All help gratefully accepted.
All that he got was a run-around response that did not help him in anyway - like so many times..
If you have the Honda shop manual, then you have the best schematic there is. Other than confusion about wire routing, my recollection is that everything matches up perfectly. What exactly doesn't seem to match in your bucket?
Only after I made a post because I thought he deserved better..... (The core of it was:)
You have 3 connector plugs which take care of basically all the wiring except for 5 wires. the white/green and brown wire are not connected. They remain unplugged. The green wire has a double tube connection which mates up with two black wires, one each to a black wire from each side turn signal. The light blue wire connects to a light blue wire tube connector from the right side turn signal and the orange wire connects to the orange wire tube connector f the left side turn signal. That's all.
.....You decided to correct me:
There should be two green wires plug into the double green plug, if the signals are stock, and the running lights will have a blue with tracer and orange with tracer. They plug into like connectors. The '80 CBXs were
basically all the same, save possibly for the running lights and maybe a headlight 'off' switch.
When I responded with
Not that I want to argue again, but the wiring diagram shows two black wires plugging into the green connection and there is no tracer on either the blue or orange coming from the wiring harness.
You came back with, citing your vast experience..
Mike - you must be looking at an non-US version diagram. All of mine (including the US '80 addendum), show two green ground wires coming from the signals plugging into the double green plug, and plain orange and plain blue plugging into like connectors for the regular turn signals. Then there are a blue/white and an orange/white wires for the front running lights in the turn signals, also plugging into like connectors. I have restored 4 '80s and a bunch of '79s, all US spec bikes, and they have all been wired as I describe. That's what I'm looking at right now and what my experience has been.
Then I posted the wiring diagram from the 80 addendum. look closely for the
two green ground wires coming from the signals
And once again:
You have 3 connector plugs which take care of basically all the wiring except for 5 wires. the white/green and brown wire are not connected. They remain unplugged. The green wire has a double tube connection which mates up with two black wires, one each to a black wire from each side turn signal. The light blue wire connects to a light blue wire tube connector from the right side turn signal and the orange wire connects to the orange wire tube connector f the left side turn signal. That's all.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi Ron,

Good to hear you are nearly on the road with your CBX and thanks for the mention. Trust the kit installed easily, ie; "as advertised in the brochure".

Dunno if it helps at all, but on our Australian models, there is a small 12V 3W park light that mounts in the headlight fed by a green earth and IIRC a brown wire. I'll check in the morning and confirm the wiring colours for it.

It's also fairly important to get all the large plastic housing connectors mounted correctly inside the headlight bucket. Getting it wrong makes it a bear to fit the headlight lens ass'y. I struggled with mine until I finally got the irrits with it and mounted all the plastic connector housings correctly. Took some time poring over the FSM though to understand it sufficiently to get it right.

And on another note...EMS, Jeez man, why so Mr cranky pants'? Surely this forum is intended to be a place of collaborative learning and polite sharing to help solve the OP's problem, and I am pretty sure no offense was intended by anyone. It's not a piddlin' contest and differences of opinion and experience are what make this forum so valuable. And your CBX skills, knowledge and experience is no doubt vast and valued, so your contributions are most definitely helpful to many, and long may it continue.

Ron, keep up the great work and pls post pics of the results.

Cheers...Tony.

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

There's also two metal brackets (You can get them on eBay) that hold the wiring in the headlight bucket.
The top one holds the turn signal wires in a loop above where the back of the headlight goes, and keeps the single/doube wire connectors neatly to the right.
The bottom one holds the square black diode in the center, plastic 8-9 pin connectors left and right, for handlebar switches.
I sprayed all the connectors with WD-40, opened and closed them a few times, then put a small amount of Dielectric grease on them.
Note: There's a slot for the tab on the chrome headlight frame inside the headlight bucket at the top left.

-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Duffey Lake rd. on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Scott.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”