SHIMMING THE ALTERNATOR CLUTCH SPRING

hondac200
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

SHIMMING THE ALTERNATOR CLUTCH SPRING

Post by hondac200 »

Recently, my '79 CBX started showing fluctuating voltage on the voltmeter while riding at steady rpm's. I suspected that the alternator clutch was slipping, but I knew I did not have any of the large shims that fit on the outboard end of the spring. I took off the inner spring seat and measured the drive shaft where it slips on and found it to be 20mm. As luck would have it, the oil filter spring washer (15414-300-000) is 20mm inside diameter. These washers are 1mm thick, so I slipped two of them on the shaft before the spring seat, reassembled everything and the slippage went away. Not a permanent solution, but these washers are quite easy and inexpensive to obtain. I always have a few in my spares box. Hope this helps a few of my fellow riders out there. See the attached picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: SHIMMING THE ALTERNATOR CLUTCH SPRING

Post by NobleHops »

hondac200 wrote:Recently, my '79 CBX started showing fluctuating voltage on the voltmeter while riding at steady rpm's. I suspected that the alternator clutch was slipping, but I knew I did not have any of the large shims that fit on the outboard end of the spring. I took off the inner spring seat and measured the drive shaft where it slips on and found it to be 20mm. As luck would have it, the oil filter spring washer (15414-300-000) is 20mm inside diameter. These washers are 1mm thick, so I slipped two of them on the shaft before the spring seat, reassembled everything and the slippage went away. Not a permanent solution, but these washers are quite easy and inexpensive to obtain. I always have a few in my spares box. Hope this helps a few of my fellow riders out there. See the attached picture.

Great tip!! :text-thankyouyellow: :text-goodpost:
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rusty Parts
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Rusty Parts »

Honda200,
I think I'm having the same problem with my "82 CBX, I've checked everything electrical. I was wondering if you or anyone out there would happen to know what the standard free length should be on that clutch spring so I could check mine or shim it. I appreciate your putting up this post. Rusty

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Stock spring length is 31mm.
Half way through this thread Dave has some measurements and shim suggestions.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6781

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”