Dyna coil hookup help

Skyguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Dyna coil hookup help

Post by Skyguy »

I replaced the incorrect dyna coils with the proper ones, (strange underpowered blue ones on CBX.) I was careful to mark the positions of the wires as I replaced the coils. But...
Something got lost in translation and I'm confident I got it sorted, but.......I discovered a glaring error in the OEM manual that Im sure is known to many here. It has the diagram
of the "Lead wire" No. 1 for the (3,4, cylinder.) *See attached illustration. After seeing this goof, I chased the wires from the plug coming off the spark generators and checked the
schematic more than once. Take a look at my hand drawn schematic from the plug to the coils and see if this is correct. *It is a very elementary hookup but if done wrong can have
disatourious results. Also, look at the plug wires coming off the coils and see if I got that right. *The OEM schematic is weak and "Tims" is a bit vague on the plug wire placement,
(Front or back plug for which cylinder?) This should be a very simple hookup but what if?

Thanks in advance as always. :text-thankyouyellow:

PS: I have my Pipemaster pipes installed and the ditched the K&N filters for the OEM setup and have shimmed all the valves for better compression. Just waiting on Mike N. to finish carbs and I will get it going again and then install the Dyna ignition system.

*Note error corrected with "Sharpie."

Do I have the plug leads correct?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Dyna coil hookup help

Post by daves79x »

I don't know if I'd exactly say 'glaring error'. It's obvious that one is mismarked and pretty easy to see which one. As for the plug wires, it doesn't matter which wire goes where in the pairs - both wires fire simultaneously anyway. So 1/6 could easily be 6/1, 2/5 could be 5/2, etc. Whatever way the wires reach the best is fine. Sounds like you have it figured out though.

Dave

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”