Remove Female Wires from Connector Block

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Remove Female Wires from Connector Block

Post by ezridermn »

This question has probably been answered numerous times but I can't find it on the forum. I need to remove wires from a female connector block. It is the one you see in this picture. Do I need a special tool or is there just some technique to it? I would appreciate it if you would fill me in.

Thanks for the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1982 Honda CBX

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Remove Female Wires from Connector Block

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Look 'inside' the connector from the back side. There is a 'barb' on the back of the brass female socket that catches inside the plastic. Using a small screwdriver, or similar small flat-bladed thing, depress that barb and, simultaneously, either pull on the wire or push the brass connector. Might take some 'fiddling' with this connector because of the heavier wires. After enough proper language, they can be separated. The good word is: they go back into the socket quite easily! (Assuming you want to remove them to clean them and remove corrosion.) After you do clean them, cover them liberally with silicone grease to help prevent further corrosion. Have 'fun'! I certainly did when I did some of mine. :o
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks Larry. Followed your direction...used some language and got it done!
1982 Honda CBX

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good, EZ. Yes, the proper 'code' words always seem to work their way into these type projects. And, help (somehow)!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

6 Pack
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by 6 Pack »

Are we talking to insert the tool on the top of the wire or the bottom of the wire from the back. I tried for 30 min. and no release. Damn thing !!!trying to be careful with 30 year old goods

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

I'm not sure how it worked for everyone else but it was not easy. I had to grind down a small flat screw driver to make it very thin and narrow. That still didn't make it easy but after some effort and as Larry said proper code words I got them out.

Maybe someone else has an easy way but it didn't go that way fore me.
1982 Honda CBX

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

6 Pack wrote:Are we talking to insert the tool on the top of the wire or the bottom of the wire from the back. I tried for 30 min. and no release. Damn thing !!!trying to be careful with 30 year old goods
You go in from the 'socket' side. NOT the wire side. Push the wire very slightly toward the socket, insert the tool thing to depress the barb, push/pull the wire-socket-tool all to the rear to slide the wire (with female end attached) out of the socket. Same thing to remove male ends from the other piece. This from another post should help: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7390
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”