Ground Cable Locations?

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ground Cable Locations?

Post by ezridermn »

I pulled the engine for my 82 CBX Prolink. The engine is back in and I am buttoning up the plumbing. Everything has gone back together pretty easily since I made good notes and took pictures along the way. However, one thing I failed to document is the ground locations. The wiring diagram says to attached the starter ground cable to the starter relay switch. The other cable is supposed to go to ground. I presume that means grounding it to the frame somewhere.

With that for background I am not sure where the non-starter ground cable should go. I never took the ground cable off the starter so I know I have the correct cable there but it seems to be too short to get to the starter relay. Currently there is a ground cable on the starter relay that looks like it should attached to the negative terminal on the battery terminal which is contrary to the wiring diagram. It seems both cables will meet at the ground terminal at the battery but that doesn't seem right.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Thanks in advance for your help!
1982 Honda CBX

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ground Cable Locations?

Post by tevan »

There is one green ground wire at the coils.

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks for the reply. I have already attached the green wire to the coil mount so I think I'm good there. My question relates to the two heavy cables. On comes from the starter motor and the other is the same thickness and I believe should be grounded to the frame in some fashion. The are both black in color. I'm just a bit confused and don't want to get it wrong and create other problems.

Can you tell where those two cables should be attached? Thanks.
1982 Honda CBX

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

On a Z (I suspect Prolink are the same) the cables are:
- from battery earth to one of the two starter mounting bolts - this earths the frame as well as the starter. I always remove the paint on the frame where it touches the aluminium spacer for the top engine mounting bolt to make sure the frame gets a good earth.
- from the connector on top of the starter to the starter solenoid - this is the live feed to the starter.
- As previously said, there is also a ground for the wiring harness on one of the coil mounting bolts.

Paul.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”