Low voltage and dying battery

Playtex11

Re: Low voltage and dying battery

Post by Playtex11 »

Thanks Steve and wyly. My alternator is the Euro version and does no resemble the pictures in the article So I am reluctant to tear into it without a guide like you sent.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Both the early Euro and the Rest of the World and later alternators are identical, except for the Euro version being slightly smaller and thus having a smaller cover. Procedure to work on them is the same. The three bolts that hold the unit to the engine are in the same place and of the same dimension.

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

Am I better off just removing the alt. and sending it to a shop ? I have not torn one of them down before. Rick's Electrics has been suggested to me.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/contactus.php

Also, how do I check the rectifier and regulator and where are these components located?
Last edited by Playtex11 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Playtex11 wrote:Am I better off just removing the alt. and sending it to a shop ? I have not torn one of there down before. Rick's Electrics has been suggested to me.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/contactus.php
that's where I got my alternator internals...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I can check it out for you if you send me the whole alternator. I’m just up in PA.

Dave

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

I contacted Rick's in NH and am sending the alternator to them for bench testing/rebuild. Found a brownish stripe in the silver paint on the alternator case 2-3 inches inboard of the cap. Looks as if something in the case overheated and scorched the exterior paint. From the information I gave Rick's, a stator/rotor rebuild is a high probability on this one so off it goes. This thing needs its own bank account! Will keep the board posted on progress and many thanks to all that replied.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not sure Rick's can handle anything other than the rotor/stator rebuild/rewind. You need to replace both bearings, the center seal, and carefully check the spring free height, correct shims and condition of the clutch plates. And check that the little aluminum oil metering button is still in place and clear in the end of the primary shaft. Again, I don't think Rick does any of this. There are volumes written here about rebuilding the CBX alternator. Avail yourself of that through a search and learn all about these things. Holler if you need help, but be aware, if you don't check and replace any other bad parts, you won't be happy for long.

Dave

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

Thanks Dave.
Got the alternator back from Rick's and their tech replaced/rebuilt the rectifier, rotor and the regulator. Root cause of the failures was the dying battery which could be charged to 13v but would drop to 7 volts when the starter was engaged. I put in a nearly new YUASA and under the same circumstances, it will spin the engine much faster than the dying battery and drops to only 10 volts when doing so. Thanks for that battery check tip to Larry Zimmer and also to tevan for suspecting the battery needed a load test. Seems this dying battery would overtax the charging system trying to stay alive and the result was the alternator problems. The only time it would really charge up was on the trickle charger when no other loads were on it. With the lights and ignition going, it could not keep up. Other stuff I did included inspecting all the wiring and disassembly/cleaning of the ignition switch and lubing it with silicon grease (hint- don't drop those little coil springs that hold the copper contact plates where they belong in the switch, they are hard as hell to find!). Voltage output at 3000 RPM is 14.8. Cost was $200 plus postage and they gave a 1 year warranty on the repairs and parts. I was told by Bill from Tim's CBX that this alternator is a Nippondenso actually meant for Kawasakis.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Great! I like happy endings. :D (Thanks for the info about Rick's service.) Oh --- about those little springs. Been there, too. Good ole school of 'something'! :-)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

We may not be done yet....See note below to Rick's shop below. Any ideas guys?
I thought we had it whipped, but maybe not. Rode it to work today and it was electrically faultless. I used the low beam and the two 55w driving lights on the 30 mile trip. Bike meter was showing consistently above 14v under throttle. At idle it showed between 12 and 13 v

On the way home I stopped for gas and it quit at the pump before I could get it on the stand. All the symptoms of a dead battery were present, Slow turnover and finally solenoid clicking. I pulled it over and started checking everything and only found a loose connection on the hot side of the solenoid and tightened it and tightened the battery connections. A good samaritan gave me a jump and off I went for the last 10 miles. Bike meter was showing just under 14v and it has a tendency to read high.

Shut it down a couple of times enroute and started it with no problem using the starter button. Voltmeter dropped to just below 10 while cranking.

Got home and put the voltmeter on it at 3000 RPM and got the following from the alternator output wires at the harness connections:

Red- 12.65 volts

Black- 13.06 volts

Battery showed 12.24 with key off. It will turn the motor a few times and then goes into clicking.

I am leaving it on the trickle charger over night. This is a three year old YUASA

and was showing a little over 13v after the last time I charged it.

What do I need to do next?

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

Just got word from Tim's and they advise a dead cell battery will act like what was described above.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Tim's is correct, you have a dead cell.
Get a new AGM battery.

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

Going battery hunting Saturday. Thanks!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

An old thread but the info still holds up.
Either of the 18L or 20L Big Crank will work.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7799&p=60076&hilit=crank#p60076
Last edited by steve murdoch icoa #5322 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playtex11

Post by Playtex11 »

Thanks Steve.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”