now my CBX wont start

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

now my CBX wont start

Post by ahlenius1 »

wont start as soon as i hit the start button everything goes dead no lights now its in my garage and i have a battery charger on it and the battery is full i tried the screw driver across the solenoid (right below brake fluid reservoir right ?)and i get nothing i checked grey metal fuse its fine ran the meter across it.its fine what next ignition key is brand new i did hear a little click from the area of the solenoid when everything went dead. i have had this problem before and it went away with a fully charged battery now its here to stay it seems.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: now my CBX wont start

Post by spencer »

It could be a loose or corroded battery connection or it could be just a battery failure. If you don't have another motorcycle battery, you could try to jump it from a car battery. If everything works then, you will know it is the battery. If not, then you will have more trouble shooting to do.

I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.
SCH Rochester, MN

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

This just happened to someone else and it was sudden battery death syndrome. Follow Spencer's advice before you chase your tail, I am betting on that.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

New ignition key or was the whole cylinder changed?
The plastic bottom connector is prone to failure.
Just something else to check after looking at the battery.

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

Try push starting it if you have an incline or some friends. If it starts then almost for sure it is the battery. I had mine fail in the same manner same day I got it.

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Took the battery out had it tested its fine,ground ohm check ok wire to round solenoid under rear brake reservoir ok how do i check that solenoid.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

how do i check that solenoid.
Looking at my '82 shop manual.....At the,four pin,connector for the solenoid: Check that with the clutch pulled in you have 'ground' at the grey wire.With the key on & starter engaged, battery voltage at the yellow & red wire.
You should hear an audible 'click'. So far so good?
But....high amps move across the 'bridge' formed by the activated solenoid. It's not unusual that it bench tests ok, but fails under load. The 'bridge' contacts wear at different rates ( something to do with the flow of electrons), you may hear it activating, but proper contact may not be made. You can check for continuity between the battery & starter posts on the solenoid as its activated.
Stupid question, you're certain that your battery connections are tight?

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”