Turning signal relay

Mixtbag
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Turning signal relay

Post by Mixtbag »

Apparently I have a bad relay (Mitsuba FR-2105) and I've been exploring options to replace it. Several forums online tell me I can switch it out for "any 2-prong electronic relay" (which I doubt) and one guy specifically mentioned a Tridon EL12 relay, which I tried but does not work. All of the Honda dealers near me are only useful for telling me the part is discontinued and can offer no other advice on alternatives. The problem with my original relay is that the right signal works but the left comes on but does not blink. Checked all the bulbs and they are all correct and ok. Any thought?

Thanks,
Mixtbag
Mixtbag
'81 CBX pretending it's a '79
Pacific Palisades, CA

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Turning signal relay

Post by tevan »

I don't think your relay is bad. check all your connections to make sure they are all :handgestures-fingerscrossed: good and clean. Don't forget your ground....

Mixtbag

Post by Mixtbag »

Thanks, Tevan. Guess I maybe just needed your positive mojo... I HAD checked and steel-wooled all of the connections and hooked it all back up but no go. After your post, decided to give it another try. Took it all apart, put it back together, no go. Then I fired up the engine and revved it a few times... Now both left and right are blinking. Hopefully it will stay that way?!

Thanks for the feedback.
Mixtbag
'81 CBX pretending it's a '79
Pacific Palisades, CA

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't know what part the dealer was looking for and what is supposedly NLA. If you continue to have a problem, the original "flasher" was replaced by a part off a European CB125, the p/n is 38301-KJ6-741/742 or 743.
I have serious doubts that there isn't a turn signal relay somewhere in the Honda line-up that will work.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I would look at the wiring diagram and look for all the connections from switch to signals. I nave had the same issue before and mine was old dirty connections. I spray the female ends with contact cleaner and the male ends I use brass cleaner and a Q tip with a followup with contact cleaner on them too. :twocents-02cents:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

If one side flashes and the other side doesn't, it's not the Flasher. It is common to both sides and is in electrically the same circuit no matter which side you are flashing, so the fact that it's flashing one side is proof positive that it is good. You have a ground, switch contact or connector problem, assuming everything is wired right

In my experience, most any 2 prong flasher will work because the bike uses the same bulbs as most older cars which used 2 prong flashers. The current drawn by the bulbs determines what sort of flasher is required. My first CBX had an ordinary automotive flasher in it from the previous owner the entire time I had it. Usually, when one side doesn't flash, either one bulb isn't lit or if both are, the wrong filament in the bulb is lit. A bad ground sometimes causes current to flow in both filaments in series which results in a dimmer than usual bulb. The flasher won't flash dim bulbs because they aren't drawing enough current

Don

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

If you want a two terminal flasher that will flash anything, try this link.

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

Select the EFL-2. It is an electronic flasher that will work even with very small loads. This is the flasher I supplied with the LED turn signal conversion kit I sold a couple of years ago. I tried several flashers before this one, and none of them worked correctly with only LEDs as the load. This one will work with LEDs, incandescent lamps, or a combination of the two.
SCH Rochester, MN

cbxsei

Post by cbxsei »

Hi Spencer,
Are you still selling the LED flasher conversion kit?

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

cbxsei wrote:Hi Spencer,
Are you still selling the LED flasher conversion kit?
Unfortunately, no. Part of the reason for selling them was to defray the costs of developing them, and getting decent prices by buying a quantity of parts. In the beginning, there was a lot of enthusiasm, but it fell off quickly. I never heard from most of the people who bought them, so I don't even know if they were installed. Kind of a pity, because I think they were a real improvement, and they were easy to install, and it was completely reversible. You could easily change back to incandescent lamps if you wanted to. I kept the last set I had, for reference, just in case I ever started making them again, but earlier this year, I sold that last set, so they are all gone. I guess that if I saw a lot of interest, I might try to resurrect the process, not for my benefit, but for those who appreciate the change from incandescent to LEDs. I'm not sure if I could still get all of the components without having to redesign, etc.

It was a lot of manual work to build a set. I don't think I lost money, but I did not make much. That was not my intent. I thought they worked and looked nice, and I wanted to make them available for as little as possible. I also made an LED tail light conversion, but it was a little more complicated. I lost lots of money on that one. There are three of them installed. One in Mississippi, one in Texas, and mine, here in Minnesota. I still have a few bare printed circuit boards, but not all of the other components.
SCH Rochester, MN

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I have a set of these installed on my bike - there is a thread here showing the installation. It was just as Spencer describes, totally non-invasive, reversible, and they work great - the on-off is noticeably crisp, they are a bit brighter to my eye, and I think I know that they consume a lot less energy than the incandescent bulbs, which is nice given that our stock alternators can't keep the battery charging at idle.

I carefully packed up the extracted reflectors and wiring, could build a set of stock turnsignals from them in about 20 minutes with a set of repro housings.

Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6367&p=47848

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

spencer wrote: I never heard from most of the people who bought them, so I don't even know if they were installed. . I guess that if I saw a lot of interest, I might try to resurrect the process, not for my benefit, but for those who appreciate the change from incandescent to LEDs. .

Sorry for this, spencer! Guilty as charged! I got a set from you and I installed it on my 79. I like it and would definitely buy another one, even two. I have an 80 that is being put together and who knows, there may be another CBX somewhere, that may come my way sometime. You can never have enough good spare parts....

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Hi Spencer.

I also had a set from you, EMS posted them from Europe for me (Cheers Mike).
They are a really easy upgrade, and look a lot better to my eyes, also the voltmeter does not swing up and down on tickover, with the indicators on. Think I may have posted they worked fine, and still do.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”