Improving the original CBX alternator

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Improving the original CBX alternator

Post by Kool_Biker »

Has anyone managed to successfully modify the original CBX alternator (european or American spec), rotor and / or stator, to achieve charging from idle?
I'm aware of the modern alternator conversion, but prefer the original look and of course there is the issue of cost ...
Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Improving the original CBX alternator

Post by EMS »

How would you modify the alternator? You would have to increase the drive ratio, or is there another way?

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:How would you modify the alternator? You would have to increase the drive ratio, or is there another way?
I was hoping one day a modern motorcycle would have an alternator on it that would be small enough to fit inside the CBX's OEM alt cases, other than that I'm with EMS, how?

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

My rotor recently gave up the ghost and had it repaired at a local shop.
They did a seemingly good job, turning it around in ~24 hours, and it's now all back to normal :D .
P1090581.jpg
Asking why they welded the two parts together, they said the rotor was very hard to undo (?), assuring me that should the need arise, it could be rewound as many times as I would wish, without any problems ...

Playing with the rotor, I was wondering if one could rewind it in a way to increase the magnetic field at all RPM, and hence idle.

Cheers, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”