Info on Denso alternators used with conversions

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Info on Denso alternators used with conversions

Post by NobleHops »

At the request of one of our trusted vendors I deleted his intro post and the related chatter in response, but there was a nugget of valuable info I wanted to preserve from the topic:

Info courtesy of J.R. Luksik, aka CBX-tars

---

The Denso brand alternators that I use are popular on various Kawasakis and some late model Triumphs.

The ribbed, shiny versions shown are Kawasaki part number 21001-1115 commonly found on ZX-750 Ninja as late as 2003. They have an 81mm center bore. I have these Ceramic Coated for the BLING effect.
The black versions have several part numbers due to the different wiring but that gets replaced anyway. They are 21001-1104, 21001-1134 and 21001-1150 found on ZX-1100, 1200, Concours, etc. They have a 75mm center bore.
There were other alternators that will "work" from ZX-900 but they're not my first choice as I find they aren't as robust as the 1100/1200 models. Easily identified from their short mounting bosses.

All of them have the same approximate output at 400 watts (~30amps), perfect for the CBX.

The black alternators are more plentiful and have better "breathing" while the 750 style look better but are getting harder to find.
Beware of buying these from "flood plain" states or areas near salt water for obvious reasons.

J.R.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”