Immaculate 1981 Surprise

Airborne
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Immaculate 1981 Surprise

Post by Airborne »

Thank you for the prompt response Dave. Isn't there simply a way to purchase just a replacement float bowls somewhere...? If fixing is the only option, I'll probably go with your second suggestion and fit a new pipe, as I can imagine soldering this turning into a nightmare...

Airborne

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

daves79x wrote:OK. You can try soldering them but I have had mixed success doing that. I got some brass tubing the same size at a hobby shop an drill out the old pipe, cut and fit and epoxy in a new pipe.

Dave
Dave, what brand of epoxy do you use on the new standpipes?
Thanks

Terry

Airborne
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Airborne »

Maybe a dumb question, but if I was to epoxy a new tube in, why not first try to run epoxy along the crack in an attempt to seal it? Would that work?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Epoxy might work on the crack but would be shame if it failed down the road. Never tried it. If you are good with solder it works. I use a 2 part clear epoxy (don't have the brand name at hand) or JB weld. Just a bit does the job of sealing the tube in place.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

I've used solder, it's not that difficult and works OK. Worth trying first if you have access to a soldering iron.

Paul.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Somewhere (But I can't find it on this or the other forums), there was a thread from some very helpful fellow who gave a blow by blow demo' on replacing the brass stand pipes with new ones.

Anyone seen it? Would be very useful here for airborne.

Scratch that, here it is!

http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-dis ... ement.html

Cheers...Tony

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Guys, remember gasoline has solvents in it. JB weld and gasoline don't play nice with each other in the long run. A soldered tube may fail, a JB welded tube will fail.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've had good luck with JB weld exposed to gasoline, epoxy for sure. Ethanol is a different matter I think.

Dave

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Mouse wrote:Guys, remember gasoline has solvents in it. JB weld and gasoline don't play nice with each other in the long run. A soldered tube may fail, a JB welded tube will fail.
+1 I have had Mike Nixon show me some really ugly carb repairs done with JB Weld. The after photos were not pretty.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Airborne
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Airborne »

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you kindly for all advises. Soldering would be a real pain in the butt, therefore I think a full replacement might be the best option, as shown in the step by step instruction linked here by Tony (thank you!).

Since I'm already at it, I will probably replace all 6 standpipes, although I have verified only 2 to be leaking. I just don't want to risk others going bad in the near future, so may just replace them all while at it.

This is a bit of an involved process requiring some machining, which I cannot complete at home, but could potentially go to the factory at my work and get it done there if they have a suitable machine. However, before I dive into this, would any of you know someone who's restoring CBX engines full time and would potentially have a batch of these standpipes, with a potential pack of 6 for sale? :)
Yes I know, as a real enthusiast I should make it myself and I will if I have to, I'm just very eager to put her back where she belongs, on the road!

My goal is to actually try to get her ready for the road and after 20+ years do a grand tour to the ICOA club rally for this coming Summer, where I could actually meet y'all and thank you in person for your help, showing how this bike turned out with your help. That is providing my dad lets me take her, since this is a gift for him primarily, but I have a feeling he would not mind :)

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Airborne

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I would only replace the ones confirmed bad. They crack from moisture and old gas. If you keep the bike up you won't have any trouble with the good ones. I can supply you with a couple. You just break off the old ones, drill out the stub, then epoxy in the new one. Simple and done.

Dave

Airborne
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Airborne »

I have just received the new standpipes thanks to Dave and his enormous kindness, thank you Dave!

I will work on replacing them now, test them for leaks, then assemble the carb rail together and test it all again for leaks. Hopefully, there should be no more surprises, as I would have no clue what else could be wrong, however I'm very much hoping this is it!

I will keep you posted on the developments!

Kind regards,
Airborne

Airborne
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Airborne »

Hello Gentlemen,

I have further updates regarding this project, that is hopefully coming to an end! Still a little bit to go...
I'm sorry for the delay, but an immediate business trip to Asia caused a little pause on the project, however I resumed immediately upon return.

Thanks to all your help, especially Dave's kindness and help with the standpipes, I'm glad to report more work was done. Per your instructions, I have replaced the standpipes, assembled the carb rail, leak tested it over a full weekend and verified the tray to be absolutely dry. No leaks, no problems, and the floats have been previously adjusted meticulously, so I hope they will not cause any issues.

I have placed the carb rail reversed on the bike and hooked up both throttle cables and a choke cable. Cables needed adjusting to get as much slack as possible, however connecting it was not as hard as disconnecting. I guess once you figure it all out, then reverse procedure is easier!

I have then (struggled and cussed a bit), inserted the carb rail back on the engine. Due to its age, I had to use a hot air gun and some WD40 to warm the rubber manifold seals and lubricate them, as there was no way it was going in otherwise. Once it was all in, I tightened the clamps and made sure that the rail sits very firmly in the block.

I know that the most proper way is to install all the plumbing and then test it, but at that point I felt like a child on Christmas. I connected fuel lines and poured little gas into a gas container I previously used for leak testing and held my breath...With the use of some starter fluid, for the first time in over 25 years, she actually gave a sound! I must say, it was a beautiful sound. She idled, revved and worked without any problems. I kept her on for a couple minutes to make sure she was actually burning fuel no the started fluid. No intermittent work, just a consistent beautiful sound...

Now, I have to probably make sure the tank is cleaned and secured properly. I'm thinking on using POR-15 Cycle Tank Repair Kit, as it seems to be getting a lot of praise and I don't want to risk any dirt getting into those carbs again. Once this is done, I will clean her out in detail, give her back the original shine, put a ribbon and come to a big moment of showing up at my dad's with her as a surprise!

Please view pics attached of the work completed so far and I will keep you posted as I plug along.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help and please stay tuned!

Kind regards,
Airborne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Good Job! Your dad will be proud.

But for such a big job, I think you need a bigger lathe. :lol:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Looking very good now Airborne, you are on the home stretch for sure.

On re-reading through this post, Dave suggested checking the operation of the accelerator pump jets (the small brass jet located at 5 o'clock position in the throat of each carb on the airbox side) to ensure they all squirt vigorously when the throttle bell crank is operated. Unless I missed it, no mention of you doing this or the results you got. Ensuring these still work as designed is very important. Please tell us you did this check and they all work perfectly. If you have the airbox off and fuel to the carb rack, you could check by vigorously twisting the throttle a few times to check all six jets are firing a strong stream of fuel into the carb throat.

Given what you are doing on this bike for your dear old Dad, I think you are going to like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82iVMONcwss

Also, have to say it has been an absolute pleasure to assist you on your journey of discovery and CBX education Airborne. It is always great to help someone who is clearly very appreciative of the contribution of others, heeds the advice freely offered and provides really good feeback. With guys like you, I remain committed to the belief that knowledge only becomes truly powerful when given away freely. Thank you for being such a gentleman, you certainly are a class act Airborne Sir!

Have fun with your dear old Dad, would certainly love to be a fly on the wall when you turn up with it!

Cheers...Tony 8)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”