carb identification

ray bear
New Member & Happy To Be Here

carb identification

Post by ray bear »

Do the numbers on the end of the carbs signify a date or if they are original to the bike as I have a spare set of carbs that came with my bike when purchased and if they can be identified would like to know how to read the numbers..Thanks Bill

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: carb identification

Post by daves79x »

VB 60 - VB 64 are the only numbers I know that mean anything. They signify what model year the carbs are from. Someone else may know what the other numbers mean - I've only ever noted the VB number.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nice to have a spare set to work on while the bike is on the road.
A bit more info.
http://www.cbxclub.com/xvital.html

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

VB65 is a CBX carb too. Euro edition Prolink.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Think I have a set of each of the following: VB 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 and 65. Not sure, but will check when it warms up a little.

It seems that the odd numbers are fitted to the European bikes and the even numbers to the US bikes. They are all interchangeable.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Goss:
I have never seen a VB63. Don't think there ever was one. The CBX-A (1980 SC03 CBX) was never officially sold by Honda in Europe, thus, there may not have been a carb version.
While the carbs will all interchange as far as physical fitment is concerned, there is quite a difference between them as far as jetting and set-up is concerned.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Hello Mike,

Checked this morning and here it is, working on my US imported Z but originally came on my Moto Martin.

Regards

Steve

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Very interesting Steve. What were the brand new carbs I sold you a while back? I know they were for a pro-link as David Silver mentioned when I bought them many moons ago. Good to speak to you this morning.
cheers Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Holy Moly, Steve, that's awesome. Thanks for the picture! Never seen this. I am also quite confused on which bike they originally should have been, especially considering Mel's remark regarding the possible origin being a Prolink.
If I follow the sequence of how Honda issued these....

VB60 US 79
VB61 Euro/Other 79

VB62 1980

VB64AA US 81 Prolink
VB64AB US 82 Prolink

VB65 Euro/Other Prolink

...these should be a 1980 CBX carb for a non-U.S. market...?????

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Hello Mike,

The VB63 is the European 1980 carb it was fitted to my Moto Martin which has a 1980 engine SC03. This makes sense as it fills the gap in your post.

Mel, the VB65's you sold to me are now on my Martin, absolutely mint so couldn't resist fitting them.
Speak soon.

Regards

Steve

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Just before the New Year came, I was able to get my hands on some extensive and detailed information about the Prolink, CBX-B and CBX-C bikes. I have been browsing through it and found some interesting tidbits.
The VB65A carbs are indeed all countries except USA and Canada. They were installed both on B and C versions. Canada shows a VB64B for both B and C model. Magnum Silver and Pearl Altair White color options were shown available for both B and C models in all countries except USA and Canada. The valve cover rubber seal changed from CBX-B engine serial number 2305967 to ..68 and the cylinder head had a different part-number between B and C. The intake valves also have different part numbers. I am sure there is some more.
Last edited by EMS on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:Just before the New Year came, I was able to get my hands on some extensive and detailed information about the Prolink, VBC-B and CBX-C bikes. I have been browsing through it and found some interesting tidbits.
The VB65A carbs are indeed all countries except USA and Canada. They were installed both on B and C versions. Canada shows a VB64B for both B and C model. Magnum Silver and Pearl Altair White color options were shown available for both B and C models in all countries except USA and Canada. The valve cover rubber seal changed from CBX-B engine serial number 2305967 to ..68 and the cylinder head had a different part-number between B and C. The intake valves also have different part numbers. I am sure there is some more.
Heya Mike, hows'sabout scanning and sharing that extensive and detailed information? :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote: Heya Mike, hows'sabout scanning and sharing that extensive and detailed information? :-)
:D :D That will be quite a job, Nils, it's 346 pages. But I will give it a try and maybe reduce it to just the interesting stuff, i.e.: the differences and unique items between and for each model. 8)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
NobleHops wrote: Heya Mike, hows'sabout scanning and sharing that extensive and detailed information? :-)
:D :D That will be quite a job, Nils, it's 346 pages. But I will give it a try and maybe reduce it to just the interesting stuff, i.e.: the differences and unique items between and for each model. 8)
If it's loose sheets it can be autofed into a copier/scanner. I had no idea it was that voluminous!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Tripnut

Post by Tripnut »

does anyone know the differences between VB60 and VB61 and why they used different carbs (or just numbers) on US and euro bikes? I have a UK bike with VB61's and a spare set, I also have a set of seized VB60's which I can't bring myself to throw away.

Both sets of VB61's have vacuum fuel cut outs fitted but the VB60's don't. is this the only difference?
Honda CBX1000Z 1978
Kawasaki H2A 1973
Kawasaki H2C 1975
Kawasaki H1E 1974
Yamaha R1 2009
Harley Davidson XR1200X

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”