Info on these AMAL carbs?

Shikikanzero
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Info on these AMAL carbs?

Post by Shikikanzero »

Inherited these AMAL carbs along with a slew of other parts when I bought the CBX i'm current working on restoring. Can anyone tell me more information on this set? The previous owner used these on his drag racing CBX. I plan on selling these to someone else that can better utilize them. Do they have any good use on a street ridden CBX compared to a set of Keihin FCR's? Or is there a market that still uses these carbs, like earlier model Triumphs. Thanks for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Info on these AMAL carbs?

Post by EMS »

No idea why someone would use Amal carbs on a CBX and prefer them even over the stock Keihins. Racing or street. Maybe because he wanted to run velocity stacks and the Keihin CV carbs would not have been the best choice.
If you get some more detailed ID info from the carbs, I can probably steer you towards a suitable application. Most likely a British bike.
They are Amal Mark II and they came in a 36, 38 and 40 size - rather large. You may have to measure the throat to tell what size they are.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Heh, heh. Yep. I have to admit that I tickled more than a few Amals "back in the day" whilst in the throes of a Brit bike phase. Owned a '71 Bonneville for almost 30 years. Divorce did that one in...
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

If you do end up selling them provide this thread about Amal tuning.
https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/65-cub-da ... itbike.pdf

Shikikanzero

Post by Shikikanzero »

EMS wrote:No idea why someone would use Amal carbs on a CBX and prefer them even over the stock Keihins. Racing or street. Maybe because he wanted to run velocity stacks and the Keihin CV carbs would not have been the best choice.
If you get some more detailed ID info from the carbs, I can probably steer you towards a suitable application. Most likely a British bike.
They are Amal Mark II and they came in a 36, 38 and 40 size - rather large. You may have to measure the throat to tell what size they are.
Thanks for the help! Inside diameter measurement on the stack side is 34mm, while the measurements on the engine port side is 32mm ID, 40mm OD.

A google search does show that there is a 32mm size, which corresponds to the model number 2932-300 stamped on the body, with the 32 in the sequence standing for the size.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”