79 carbs - identifying jets.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

79 carbs - identifying jets.

Post by sixinoz »

Ok - so bit the bullet and took carbs off. 11/2 hours for a first time. So I see two jets one with a hex head and marked 98 which is the main jet. Next to it is another brass jet. I assume this is the pilot jet. It has a slot on the head which I would assume is to screw it out. But reading the threads this is a press fit??
So what is the jet under the rubber plug?
After pilot jet clean what is the best way to clean the 3 holes that spray into the venturi ( somehow connected to idle circuit)?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 79 carbs - identifying jets.

Post by daves79x »

This is hard to do in little snippets. But to answer your question, the #98 jets are the secondary main jets. The other jet showing beside it screws out also and should be #65, it is the primary main jet. There is an emulsion tube screwed in under that jet also. Then under the rubber plug is the pressed-in #35 idle jet. It is usually the problem. Search here how to extract it. Those and their associated circuitry have to be completely clean for the bike to run right. You probably at least need Mike Nixon's carb book to really get an understanding of these. I can't possibly type up 2 or 3 pages of vital info that you need to know about these here on the forum. That's why a search yields no comprehensive treatise on complete carb rebuilding. There's just too much to cover in one post.

Dave

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Ok - thanks Dave. Guess I don't know much about these carbs so this forum is a goldmine of info.
I have read the thread on extracting the pilots with the tap and screw method and will do that next.
As a side comment I am amazed that Honda (Keihin) did not make the pilot jet a screw in - since it seems to be the source of so much trouble.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

They finally did on the '82 carbs.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Six, seeing as you are tackling the carbs yourself the best resource for success is the Mike Nixon tutorial.
https://motorcycleproject.ecrater.com/c ... da-cbx1000

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Welcome to forum sixinoz. Once you get your CBX running sweetly, there is nothing else quite like it.

If your budget stretches to it, and seeing as how you are this far in already, take the time to get yourself:

a) the aforementioned Mike Nixon book;
b) Randakks Cycle Shack CBX carb rebuild set. All O rings are viton and the kit contains everything you need and nothing you don't.
c) a set of 6x new carb insulator blocks.

Once installed and set up correctly, it will be pretty much fit and forget. Everytime you hit the starter and it sits there purring, you'll be so very glad you did.

Search on here and you will be well rewarded.

If I can be of help, send me a pm.

Cheers....Tony

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”