Slow to slow down

Redplexus
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Slow to slow down

Post by Redplexus »

Classic case - bought the bike some while ago, spent a few happy weeks riding it, then came winter and i began to fettle the bike - top to toe. Did all the usual replacements as i went, put her back together and she started first push of the button. Hurrah. on the way i had found various botches by a former owner - missing fire trap/air filter holder, badly seated airbox leaking horribly downstream of the filter etc. But she ran and idled nicely to begin with. Only problem is the bike now feels a bit wheezy - not crisp and producing healthy horses, just knackered old pit-ponies. And when you blip the throttle, the motor only returns to idle very slowly (I replaced both open and close cables with NOS, neither ie badly routed, trapped or out of adjustment - likewise the choke cable if fully functional). Are these classic symptoms of badly out of synch carbs, or just carbs in need of refurb/rubbers etc? Still, I'm glad it's only six of everything and not at all fiddly to set up... :?
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Slow to slow down

Post by daves79x »

Your symptoms could be either/both of your possibilities. Easiest thing now is to gauge sync them and see if that fixes it. But the problem is likely deeper. If you have even one butterfly holding up (not centered in it's bore), they'll never sync. This is very common and most sets I rebuild have one or more like this. Easy to fix, but they have to come off. A plugged idle circuit or two will make syncing impossible also.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Slow to slow down

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

Did you have the carbs off at all to check / clean them? What you describe sounds like carb problems, if they have not been looked at I would start there. You may get lucky and it's just a synch job (out of synch carbs can cause this so worth trying).

Shout if you need any help.

Paul.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”