Drilled slides

MIKE DAVIS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Drilled slides

Post by MIKE DAVIS »

Does anyone know how much slides that were drilled for a dynojet stage 3 kit will affect a 79 with stock jets,needles and airbox with stock filter.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Drilled slides

Post by Rick Pope »

Mike,
I seem to remember that someone drilled the slides with poor results. Something about the slides responding too quickly, allowing too rich mixture and ensuing stumbling. You might try doing a search while you wait for the carb guru's to show up.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It's not much - some with Dynojet kits were never even drilled. I've put '79 carbs back to stock with drilled slides and the bikes seemed to run fine. No guarantees though.

Dave

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

+1 with Dave !!
I have had Mike Nixon bring back to stock multiple sets of '79 carbs that had stage 3 kits done to
them with very good results. Apparently the drilled slides do not make a big difference
as the bikes ran very well. Finding the stock slide needles however is getting more difficult.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

I believe enlarging the holes serves to eliminate or nearly eliminate the slight lag with which the slide responds to throttle movement, a designed-in characteristic of the CV carb and what makes it such a good street carburetor. The airspeed is always ideal and therefore fuel discharge instant regardless of throttle opening. The presumed goal of enlarging the hole is I am convinced to defeat this characteristic, to make the CV carb act more like a mechanical lift carb, i,e, one with a linear, lockstep throttle/slide relationship. This is something really undesireable for the street, useful only on the track, believe me. The catch is, mine and Dave's and others' experience would indicate the benefit of hole enlargement, i.e. the lag reduction effect, if that is in fact what the result of hole enlargement is, is either noticeable only at extreme rpm/load/throttle combinations possible only in racing conditions, and thus not perceptible on the street, or, enlarging the hole has absolutely no effect, which is equally as likely. Like Dave I have reversed countless Dynojet kits (what junk!) and after the first one have never given a thought to the holes.

I have on my site a graphics-intensive article that focuses on the function of the CV carb, it may help some understand this. Unfortunarely, someone hacked into my site a few weeks ago and totally destroyed it, requiring me to completely rebuild it, which I am doing.

It's really incredible how well the CBX's made-to-a-cost carburetors work. Once properly fettled, it's hard for me to imagine anyone would want to modify them.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

So sorry about your hacked site, Mike! Hate to even imagine that or ask what/who is responsible. Hope all else is well!

Dave

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

daves79x wrote:So sorry about your hacked site, Mike! Hate to even imagine that or ask what/who is responsible. Hope all else is well!

Dave
Thanks Dave.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<Unfortunarely, someone hacked into my site a few weeks ago >>

Who in the world would do such a thing? Not that I don't have a suspicion........ :think:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”